Best way to keep engine cool?

B.Liesberg

So a number of you might already be aware from my other topic that I just purchased a 39 Century. I noticed that it gets hot in traffic while driving it home. I was told by a guy that I ordered a few parts from that he put a 6v fan on the front of his cars and it solved that problem. I was wondering what thought you all had on this and if it works, what's the best method of installing one? It seems like the front end of the radiator is locked up tight behind a lot of body panels and the grille (which looks like I have to remove from the inside...).

I've heard the 39 has overheating problems due to the tiny grill. 38 and earlier as well as 40 and after all have wide open grills. The 39 has that tiny funny looking grill and the air can't get in. You need to trade your car in on a 38 or 40.

Signed, annoying '40 owner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Morgan Wright said:

I've heard the 39 has overheating problems due to the tiny grill.

That's kind of what I was figuring.

35 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Get the rad cleaned and knock out all the core plugs and clean the water jackets out.

That's my next step.

You don't need to knock out the frost plugs to clean out the water jacket. Just remove the drain cock.

1. Drain the system and fill with evaporust thermocure and run it for a few days maybe 20 or 30 miles.

2. Take out the drain cock on the water jacket. Don't just open it, remove it, so it doesn't block rust chunks. Same with the radiator drain cock.

3. Flush with water for a while and drain it.

I cleaned out my water jacket with muriatic acid, when the water pump was off and the radiator was out. The engine was by itself, apart from thermostat housing, water pump hoses, etc etc. I just poured 2 quarts of muriatic acid into the holes in the front of the engine where the water pump output and input are, let it soak for 1 hour, rinse, repeat. With the drain cock out for a good flow of rinse water, garden hose at full volume, thumb on drain cock hole so the water jacket filled all the way, fill, drain, fill, drain, did it a few times to really rinse out all the muriatic acid. Worked fine, but ruined my shoes. Now my car runs as cool as if filled with cucumber juice, that cool.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In the late 50's and 60's when I was working in a GM dealership there was no playing around when a straight eight Buick came in with overheating problems.  There was only one solution.  Mechanically removing the water jacket of it's crud.  Always got 4, 5, 6 pounds of crud.

Maybe our newer chemical cleaners are better than the old ones but the core plugs probably are nearly rusted out anyway.