Fan Whine

HRP

1991 Reatta Convertible purchased. Now with well over 100k, it has developed a whine in the fan which is worse at medium speed. I suspect it to bea bearning. How woud I go about replacing or repairing it? Is this a "take it to a repair shhop" or something relatively simple that I can do at home?

Thanks for any advice.

HRP                                                                                                                                rpa

I read it to be the heater-A/C fan......because you cannot choose the speed of the engine cooling and my ears are not good enough to tell what speed they are on.

The heater fan unbolts from the engine side and I have removed them without any problems....it is tight.  Some people have said they had problems the engine was too close.

I suspect GM used the same fan on many cars.......the only difference might be the squirrel cage blower being different but those can be switched.....if you buy a replacement, it will not come with the blower,

On older GM cars, I have taken the motor apart and lubed the bearings but these new ones were never intended to be disassembled .

Thanks, especially to Barney and D-A-N-I-E-;.. I may have to find a radio announcer to do the job (wee paws for station identification). I'll also check the prices, especially since I have an Autozone and O'Rielly's less than 1/2 mile away.

HRP