1940 Ford trunk handle latch assembly Question

Does the lock cylinder hold the handle on the base on a 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe?  I have a messed up cylinder that I need to replace that has no keys and is just in place loosely so it falls out.  Nothing seems to hold the handle on but looking at the design it looks like the lock cylinder might do just that when it's installed and not broken.  Just want to be sure there isn't something else missing.  It's a new handle assembly that was put on when it was restored a few years ago,  but like many other  things,  lots of stuff never got finished or set up so it works properly. 

This might help if you need a new lock cylinder.   The spring loaded pin goes to the top when you slide it in the the hole.  I have just fitted one in my 40 coupe and had to do quite a lot of filing and fiddling around to get it into place and if I had to do it again I would buy the new handle with the lock already installed.  It would be a lot easier.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/catalogsearch/result/?q=trunk+lock+&x=13&y=10

I was thinking of going that route as it looks like the shaft of my handle has been tampered with as well though it was all new Drake stuff.  Maybe the fresh new handle and shaft will answer my question best.  The odd part is even with the shaft and handle installed there is atleast 1/4 inch of endplay with the nut tightened which has bottomed out on the threads and still not touched the surface of the actual latch assembly.  If you tighten the nut as well on the back side even with the lock washer,  won't it want to loosen when you turn the handle or be too tight to turn?   I hate trying to figure something out once other hands have tampered with it and probably lost pieces in the process. 

I'm a bit late on the reply but if you have to, you could put a round washer or two between the latch and the lock washer / nut to take up any slack if it was required.   The lock washer has a square centre to suit the shaft and a tab to bend onto the nut so no it will not come loose  when turning the handle.  You could use a nyloc nut instead of the lock washer if you wanted to.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)