Help identifying these wheels

Chris Coon

A neighbor was cleaning out a garage that has been in his family for a few generations. There were two of these wheels, and he asked me if I had any idea what they were from. Well, I do not but bet someone here will.

They have splines, so I am assuming knock-offs. 

136FAAA1-3C13-4461-A7EA-FC00D0721BB3.jpeg

6F2BEFE8-E8FC-4189-A583-B65A9B3D43C0.jpeg

F25DD893-4A6D-40F7-9444-4A2A3431E0FE.jpeg

It's a bit hard to make out, but I think they're actually 6.50-19. The splines look very much like Rudge hubs. I know some Silver Ghosts had Rudge wheels, but by the 1920's they had all changed to the Dunlop hubs. Unless the Springfield R-R used Rudge hubs. I don't know, I'm just guessing now.

They are Bentley 4 1/4 and 3 1/2 wheels (30s) I spent half of today balancing the one on my boss's MX series 4 1/4. Rolls Royce 20/25 and 25/30 also used them. The disc covers over the wires were an option. You'll note 3 domes inside for adding balance weights. A valve extension should come out the hole to inflate the tyres without removing the covers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

It's a bit hard to make out, but I think they're actually 6.50-19. The splines look very much like Rudge hubs. I know some Silver Ghosts had Rudge wheels, but by the 1920's they had all changed to the Dunlop hubs. Unless the Springfield R-R used Rudge hubs. I don't know, I'm just guessing now.

Ghosts never used 19" wheels 

You are correct in saying RR and Bentley using the different style hubs (RR having a locking centre all with right hand thread and Bentley having no lock but left thread on the lead side of the car) but as far as I'm aware the wheel on the small horsepower RR cars are the same as the Bentley wheels. I'll have to check the different wheels up close at work on Monday. 

Edited by Carsnz123 (see edit history)

I will get in touch with the owner and see if they recall any Bentleys in the family history.  That is certainly possible.  I actually do have a 20/25 RR in my shop right now (coincidence or what)  The locking knock off and threads would all be in the Hub and Nut? Is that correct?

Perhaps I can get one of the wheels and take off the cover. 

Many thanks for the response