Fan Speed for AC

Bli22

I have 3 1990 Reatta Coups.  One of them has an AWESOME AC.  It's 104 today and it doesn't care.  I'm trying to get my other one to do the same thing.  Already changed the compressor (all done right, new condenser, dryer, vacuumed out the moisture etc).  Still not great.  I'm thinking that they are both blowing the same temperature air, but the good one has a better fan. It pushes it out faster and further.  The one I'm trying to supe' up works.  The fan comes on and off, all the speeds work.  Also has no problem pushing the air up, down or straight out.  

Can the speed of the fan be altered someway without replacing it? I know the dash brightness can be changed from the service menu, something similar for the blower motor?  Does the fact that everything seems to work (albeit at 80%) mean the blower motor is good?  Any wisdom is appreciated!

Again, 1990 Coup (Garnet and Saddle with 50k in case you're curious)  :)

Odds are the evaporator is somewhat obstructed with debris on the ones with substandard airflow. Remove the heater blower assembly and the fan speed controller on top of the air plenum to see and access to clean inside. I thought there was a tutorial on ROJ but I could not find one?

What I did was remove the fan controller and the fan assembly. Then I used a 7watt night light to be able to see. Couldn't believe all the gunk. So I sprayed first with carb cleaner, rinsed with water using a spray nozzle. Then I used air to dry every thing up so I could repeat with carb cleaner, water, and air. Do this 3 times and you should get all the cool air you want. Everything comes out through a drain hole on the bottom.

21 hours ago, 2seater said:

Odds are the evaporator is somewhat obstructed with debris on the ones with substandard airflow. Remove the heater blower assembly and the fan speed controller on top of the air plenum to see and access to clean inside. I thought there was a tutorial on ROJ but I could not find one?

There is a tutorial on the ROJ to replace the A/C evaporator. It goes well beyond just removing the fan to clean it but it does have instructions on what bolts are there holding the fan in place. unfortunately there's no picture of it but there are five 7 MM bolts holding the blower fan in place. It is possible to get the fan out without any major disassembly of anything else on the car.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

You are correct about the replacement tutorial but I was surprised there wasn't a write up on just the cleaning which has been discussed many times? That said, I just did this operation with the benefit of having the engine removed. Unbelievable how much easier to do standing on the ground in front of the heater box? Surprise, surprise, the interior was almost spotless, and I know it hasn't been done before. Photo of the plenum just after opening it up:

20180724_181609.jpg

• Like 1