1938 Buick Century Carburetor/Fuel line routing

philipj

While trying to eliminate my driveability/hot starting problems I may have found another contributing factor... The way the fuel line is set up from the carburetor to the pump...It runs along the head and therefore gets very hot... I understand that the correct factory routing would be on the outside along the side panel...

My question is how close to the side panel and what are the correct bends and clips to hold in place... Thank you.

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

On my 37 Special the engine is smaller but the fuel and advance line runs the same. I was having a bad fuel percolation problem so after driving for a good distance and then setting for over ten minutes I would have to hold the foot feed against the floor and grind on the starter for 30 or 40 turns before it started (with a big cloud of black smoke). New needle and seat along with a regulator set at 2.5#'s did not help so ran fuel line up over valve cover and this did not help either. I finally went extreme and machined and Olds V8 factory HEI distributor to fit a straight eight and with the plugs gapped at 0.060 I get a huge fat spark that fires it off even though the fuel situation is not cured. The part of this long winded novel that relates to your situation is changing the fuel line routing did not help. Crude pic shows fuel line up off of head and HEI.

Dar, Dog, HEI 003.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a photo from another angle that might help. This is a photo of Brian DePouli's Roadmaster taken at Hershey. Brian's is restored and I assume the line was new from its appearance. Mine is the original line. 

DSC_0110.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the car running right with the new fuel pump and lines... How much of a contributing factor having rerouted the lines being away from the intake/exhaust manifold direct heat-I'll never know... After much effort, it all works as it should.

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_4497 (1).JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)
  • Like 2