RTS 5215

RTS 5215

1947 DODGE WC / FLATHEAD 6 CYL I've replaced the coil, dist cap, rotor, points, condensor, plugs and wires, all original / replacement parts. All I'm getting is an occasional backfire out of the carb. I've checked and rechecked wire location. Help!!!

Did it run before you replaced that stuff?

An occasional backfire and nothing else is the classic symptom of a distributor 180 degrees out of time with the cam. If you have never seen the car run, this is likely.

Get #1 on the compression stroke. It is only on the compression stroke every OTHER turn. You can check with #1 plug out, Bump the starter (tiny bumps), and when you get the "puff", stop, and bring the engine right on up to TDC (with a wrench) as shown by the timing marks. Take the distributor cap off and see which cylinder the rotor is pointing to. If it is pointing to #6 instead of #1 the distributor is 180 degrees out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bloo said:

Did it run before you replaced that stuff?

An occasional backfire and nothing else is the classic symptom of a distributor 180 degrees out of time with the cam. If you have never seen the car run, this is likely.

Get #1 on the compression stroke. It is only on the compression stroke every OTHER turn. You can check with #1 plug out, Bump the starter (tiny bumps), and when you get the "puff", stop, and bring the engine right on up to TDC (with a wrench) as shown by the timing marks. Take the distributor cap off and see which cylinder the rotor is pointing to. If it is pointing to #6 instead of #1 the distributor is 180 degrees out.

This was my first thought when I read this yesterday.

When doing the short bumps to find TDC keep your finger in the #1 hole but be aware that you may still have spark. Best to ground the coil wire.

The easiest fix for this if you discover that you indeed have the distributor timing off is to rotate the spark plug wires 180 degrees at the distributor.

I might also add to verify the rotational direction of the rotor.

• Like 1