1936 roadmaster generator

Bill Stewart

The regulator on my car is apparently original. It has the 5 electrical connections shown in the shop manual but does not have the "thingy" attached to the GRD tab in the manual that looks like it could be a condenser. The clip to hold the item is still present.The guy who rebuilt the generator for me has never seen such a thing on a regulator and doesn't know what it could be for. Must have been a reason for it.Can somebody inform me? 

Hello Bill,

I preface my response to you advising that the basis of my information is how the voltage regulator works on a 1937 Buick.  You note that you have the 5-pole regulator;  These are rather rare, are known to not function well, therefore I will assume that the characteristics of your 1936 regulator match those of the 1937 regulator.  Baciscally, the "other" set of points in the regulator open when the generator is producing current, and interrupt the current to the starter.  The idea of these points is to prevent the starter from engaging when the generator is charging.  The other pole of the starter solenoid is disrupted by the vacuum switch on the intake manifold. 

I am attaching a couple of files I think you will find useful both as explanation and as workaround.

• Generator_Regulator_Manual.pdf:  This is a manual that explains, in painful detail, the entire charging system including the bizarre behavior of the voltage regulator's role in preventing the starter from engaging unnecessarily.
  • 1937_Voltage_Regulator_Conversion.docx:  My writeup on how one goes about connecting the more common 3-pole regulator in place of the 5-pole regulator you have.

Generator_Regulator_Manual.pdf

1937_Voltage_Regulator_Conversion.docx

Do you have a picture of the regulator and clip in question? And the shop manual picture? I suspect it is just a condenser to suppress radio interference.

I would not be quick to condemn the 5-pole. I have one on my Pontiac (electrically identical to Buick according to Delco), and since cleaning its points, has been working terrific for over a year now. Getting rid of it on a Buick with autostart is a bit of a kludge.

My car has been converted to a push button start so I think the five pole regulator's extra protection against activating the starter while the engine is running is now unneeded. It makes sense that the extra thing in the clip probably was a condenser to suppress radio interference.

I would actually prefer to have the original accelerator operated starter but for now, at least, I'm going to stay with what i have.