Electric Radiator Fan

Ron K.

I know that you guys are purists with your original cars and I appreciate that but I am still running a 1953 Lincoln Y Block in my '40 Cabriolet and would like to supplement the engine cooling with a thermostat activated electric fan.  I am still running the six volt system and have plenty of room between the fan and radiator because the V-8 is bolted directly to the original drive train.  I thought that I would throw it out to you guys because of your Lincoln expertise but I may have to go to the Ford Barn site and pick their brains for recommendations.  Thank you.

Ron

I've debated the same myself, but still working out other small issues including engine temp.  In my case I was thinking of installing the fan as a pusher where it would be pretty much hidden.  Do let us know what you decide (I'll keep an eye out over on the barn too.) 

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that a ‘pusher’ and ‘puller’ fan is not a great idea.  The problem seems to be that a vortex is established when both fans are running and the air flow is actually diminished.  I think a better solution is a good shroud.  Design and build it so it covers the radiator and the metal or plastic cuts the fan in the center of the blades.  There are a lot of vendors out there to help if you don’t do DIY.

The Y-Block fan would be higher up than the crank mounted 39-41 V-12 fan, so the pusher fan would interfere with the airflow of the stock fan.

You should have an extension made to move your stock fan closer to the radiator. It should be about 1/2" away and no more than 3/4" away  from the radiator. This will improve your cooling significantly. A flex fan will add more cooling effect.

If you are having overheating problems in traffic, after moving the stock fan,  a shroud with the stock fan or only an electric fan would be the best choices.

The stock fan on my 53 Lincoln moves more air through the radiator than the crank mounted fan on my 40 Mercury. I can drive the Lincoln in any kind of weather and any kind of traffic and it will not overheat. It did get hot when it was about a quart low on coolant and I was stuck in traffic for 45 minutes on a 90 degree day. The needle an the gauge moved into the area just below the H.