Metz Wheel Bearings

Bharper

Hello Everyone,

My 1914 Metz Model 22 has one front wheel bearing which is nearing the end of its useful life.  The other bearing on that wheel and the bearings on the other front wheel are serviceable. I have not looked at the rear wheel bearings just yet.

My question is: Have any of you found modern replacements for the front wheel bearings and if so would you share the part numbers for the cone and cup?  Studying the Metz parts book suggests that the rear outer bearing is the same as used on the front wheels and the the inner rear wheel bearing is different. Would any of you have numbers for that bearing as well? 

I doubt that I am the first Metz owner to have to replace the original ball bearings with modern tapered roller bearings and I am hoping that some good soul here will offer some assistance. If I am breaking new ground here then I will share whatever information I discover. 

Thank you in advance,

Bill Harper

Keene, New Hampshire

100_5422.JPG

Hi, somewhere in the forums I saw a post that listed replacements bearings for the Metz, being very ill at the time I am sure I saved the link, but I can not find it and have being searching forums to find as I may need replacements asap.

Have searched AACA and HCCA, have a feeling may have been Model T forum, have to search by year

On the modern side was getting front wheel bearings on my Ford replaced, the type bearing used was very similar to Metz ball race, just  bit bigger in diameter, when back in the big cities am going to bearing place to see if they have smaller version.

I needed to find a seal for diff near brake drum, found one I think will work with slight modification, will post this when done

Regardd Dave

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, Land24 said:

There is a restoration blog of a 1913 Metz posted in 2010 on this forum it has  great information. The bearing numbers are there. Gene

Read it and ordered one and a race see if it's work in my car thanks

On 3/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, Land24 said:

There is a restoration blog of a 1913 Metz posted in 2010 on this forum it has  great information. The bearing numbers are there. Gene

I ordered a bearing by the number given and would take alot of modifications make it work but did give me afew ideas to try but in the mean time

Searching for ball retainer clips and I use ball bearings as orginal

Until something shows up

Edited by Buzz68 (see edit history)

Hi Bob,

As often happens, I am late to the game. I don't often visit this site.

I spent quite a bit of time looking through a bearing catalogue (it may have been Timken) and could not find any direct replacement for the caged ball bearings used by Metz for the front wheels.  If the cup fit the hub, the ID of the cone was too large to fit the stub axle of the spindle. Conversely, a cone which fit the spindle had a cup too small in OD to fit the hub. And then there was the issue of overall width of some cone & cup sets being too wide for the hub. Oh, forget a hub seal, Nothing!    The Metz sizes were, possibly, common then, but are arcane now, unused,  and contribute to frustration which fosters creativity.

I ended up selecting a "best fit" compromise which still resulted in uncounted hours at my lathe machining spacers to enable the bearing cone and cup to fit, AND machining a "dust guard-grease retainer" which mimicked the Metz part, but would accommodate the new, replacement inner cone.

I will look for my notes and hope to find the part numbers used.  

Edited by Bharper
grammar (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

My Metz I sold earlier this year

I found metric sized sealed ball bearings  that was a close fit

Shim pressed fit in the hubs

Made spacers on the axle bolts 

Luckly on my 12 6 of the 8 bearings was the same

Larger inner rear balls I found metric sized balls that took up the wear

• Like 1