53 special service frequency

Pilgrim65

As mentioned in other thread don’t cover to many miles each year in Cyprus , had Ruby 2 years and have clocked just over 3 k 

car was serviced in US prior to shipping here .

I  bought a set of items ready for next service , but todate haven’t used them .

However, have cleaned spark plugs and fitted carb service kit and greased all nipples underside .

wondering about oil change, filters etc , is there rule of thumb guide , or service guidelines for low mileage usage 

Advice from you guys welcome .

cheers

pilgrim

Do you store the car for the winter there?  I’d guess not, but if you do, I’d change the oil just *before* storage. Combustion products in the oil can turn things corrosive as it sits, so fresh oil is better for storage. 

Otherwise, just change the oil once a year with a good quality conventional oil. Either use oil with ZDDP (zinc phosphate) in it, or add it at every oil change to protect your cam & flat tappets from eating each other. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That's how I do it. September is oil change and lube month. Otherwise it is visually inspect each weekend. That's about 1000-1200 miles a year on the Electra and something less on the other old cars. I never completely lay them up for storage.

A point to consider on these "barn finds" that show up frequently; not many of those cars stored for decades went into storage with a fresh oil change, usually the extreme opposite. The acids can easily eat away 1.5 to 2 thousandths of babbit material. A couple days after starting they can rattle pretty good. And the rings lowest in the bore, where wear is less, can be stuck, giving low compression.

Bernie

• Like 2

Thanks guys , I not really sure what I do qualifies as Storage , I just park in carport with soft cover and weatherproof cover strapped with bungies and leave for 3 months . Friend checks fortnightly that covers still in place as strong winds here during winter .Will certainly take on board oil change routine recommended in future.

carport open on 2 sides going  to fit zip up type see through screens to open side , can’t do much about entrance without extending as Ruby wouldn’t fit if I had doors 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1