Hawthorne 4 Cyl. Hand Cranked Air Pump Info Sought

hddennis

Just bought this Hawthorne 4 Cylinder hand Cranked Air Pump and wondered if anyone knew how to get more information about it's construction? It is missing some parts I may have to have cast and machined if anyone has any tips on that. It has a patent date of Nov.29 1910 but I can't find the patent. I'd really like to get this functional if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Howard Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112888284493?ul_noapp=true5ab6d3800906f_Pump2.thumb.jpg.881325cccc974b8cd1247c67aff77270.jpg

Pump 12.jpg

Try as I might it appears you need a lawyer to make these sites find anything. But I was able to take the last patent number you provided and it typed into Google brought up a list of all Patents issued  on  November 29th 1910 and after long search I found # 977274 Patent issued for Improvement in air pumps and there was my pump with drawings and explanations on the workings. This will help a great deal.

Thanks a million

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Xclnt. Patience rewarded.

So who was Wm A Cook? It is not assigned so maybe he was Hawthorne Pumps?

Looks like you were right according to this 1913 post I found on Google.  "Edward W. Bassick, president of the Burns & Bassick Co. Bridgeport , Conn., has been elected vice president of the Hawthorne Mfg. Co., Inc., taking the place of William A. Cook."

Howard Dennis

While waiting for the pump I'm trying to locate parts and thought your ingenuity could help me out. Somehow 1 piston and rod are lost to time. I don't think the rod and 1 3/4 piston will be that hard but the valve in the top could be an expensive item to pay for from a machine shop. My son-in-law said I was over complicating it and the original was overkill also. He said all I need is a one way valve to let air in and then compress it. What would you call it and any idea where to look. I found one valve on eBay that looks like it might come apart to fine tune the spring on the ball bearing so I could vary pressure until I got it right. Appreciate any ideas from the talent here. 

Howard Dennis

rsz_pump_2.jpg

piston valve detail 1.JPG

piston valve detail.JPG

Pump 13 - Copy.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Dennis, my pump was in terrible condition, both from neglect and butchers working on it. One machinist offered to try and adapt modern valves and seals but never finish anything and I packed it away and forgot about it. If memory serves me correctly I had one leather cup left on mine by the time I got it. They were specially formed to fit on top of the piston and were held on top by a large washer that was held down by a nut threaded onto the brass valve in the top of the piston. I'm assuming it would all have to be custom made today??

Howard Dennis952851672_Pump8.thumb.jpg.0a0e3dd4ebd8684e271d0e64c2c3dfff.jpg

Howard,

thanks for the quick reply. Mine is complete with exception of the leather cup washers and the wooden handle. I think I can make those things. 
i believe the cups would be 1 3/4 od with a 3/4 inch hole. This one was in a fire the leather was charcoal and the handle gone. 
If you decide you want to sell yours for parts I may be interested. 
thanks again,

Dennis  Fleming

241C3A57-9A7B-4F9B-A613-DFBF55A87FC8.jpeg

For the leather cups and maybe the valves, you can use the leather cups for a pitcher pump.  Just find the correct size for your needs.  Here is a link to some sites through google with the leather cups and valves. 

Hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pitcher+pump+rebuild+kit&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj13NX2qOfqAhWHQc0KHReAC68Q_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1253&bih=626

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

I recently received this Hawthorne pump from a friend who was liquidating his late father’s cars, tools, and machinery collection  I had not heard of this pump until I started my research and I have learned all that I know thanks to you folks here. I haven’t checked out the internals yet but it appears to operate as it should. I’m in the process of making a crank and handle now. 
I have found ads for this pump in the 1911 Popular Mechanics and Mechanics Illustrated magazines which were interesting. I just wanted to share this with you. 

According to the ads the pump came with a 6’ tube (hose) that would reach any tire on the automobile. 

867D22B2-BE68-4CB9-949A-0FE6339A019C.jpeg.b568fc3ec83c6e2a051d4c933cf0bee7.jpeg52474D59-8124-4EFF-9E60-BA4DF3867C62.jpeg.e8fa9d80e05567d4c81a7b2df118425a.jpegCD1A27FC-E70F-4D52-A505-E02A39EC1921.jpeg.1328e6ea2999d9ed92fb12c973e6157d.jpeg

Edited by DarrellH (see edit history)