Connecting rod plug

Summershandy

I wanted to take a peak behind the plug on the connecting rod in the steering linkage. The cut-a-way picture in the shop manual isn't too clear. I removed the cotter pin and started to unscrew the plug and the whole rod gave a shift. What's behind this plug? Are there springs? I'm not removing it in case it comes popping out and I can't get it back in. I does feel like it's under some force. 

IMG_6904.JPG

The threaded plug just needs to be turned back in solid then backed off to the nearest cotter pin hole. That's for the '54 Pontiac. The suspension is apart anyway and I've since installed new outer tie rods along with king pins, etc. When it goes in for it's road inspection it'll need an alignment also. I just wondered if the spring makes putting the plug back in difficult.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just put my steering together. To do a tie rod I’m not sure you would have to take the plugs ALL the way out just back them out far enough. They’re about 1 1/2” if I remember.  And I think only the plug on the side your working on needs to be backed out. This is the first time I’ve worked with a set up like this. Neat indeed! Also all the cups and springs inside that connecting rod come completely out for easy cleaning and fresh grease by removing said plugs

Edited by Grizz (see edit history)