Valve stem leak

Mars

Drop center wheel or split rim??   What vehicle??  If you put in a new tube and liner (1)  how did you try two other stems. Perhaps you mean tried two other cores?  If you meant cores were the ones you installed new or old ones that you had lying around?  

What is leaking?  It is easy to tell if the tube or the core is leaking.  Inflate the tire, put a drop of water or even spit on the top of the valve stem.  If it bubbles the core is the problem.  If it doesn't bubble wiggle the stem back and forth, maybe you can hear the stem leaking.  Two different causes, two different solutions.

Knowing the style of rim/wheel would really help us help you.

If the bubbles are coming out between the stem and the core you need a new core or else somehow you pinched the stem when installing the new tube.  Easy to do just ask me.  In that case you need a new tube or at least a new stem vulcanized  onto the tube you have.  I have small tool that cleans up the threads inside the stem but have found if you have pinched the stem it isn't able to be fixed.Does the tire go flat now.  The reason I ask is once I thought I had a leak after putting in a new tube and it was the air trapped between the tube and the tire coming out beside the stem.  I took it apart twice before I realized that is wasn't really a leak.

Good luck, and may your air be contained.

I did have to use pliers to hold the stem from getting drawn into the rim.(another problem). I must have pinched the stem, makes sense. I have long metal stems on the other wheels, but only had short rubber tubes left. I'll be ordering long metal stemmed tubes today. Thanks to all.

Having re-mounted 4+ tires every  five years or so for the last 58 years (approx 240+) on my daily driver, I have never had to use anything mechanical to keep my valve stem in place.  A small amount of air in the tube holds the stem in the hole in the rim.

Another idea would be to buy a cheap one of either one of these tools.  Certainly would be cheaper than an new tube.

FH07MAY_LEAVAL_01.jpg

bc22.jpeg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

My stems (for the DC) are long and bent at right angles so I can blow the tires up. I put a short piece of plastic tube on them to help me pull them through when mounting the tire-tube-rust band set. It is hard work with old stiff tires on the narrow locking ring rims.