GAWD! driver powerwindow won't go up!

Hmm

First the antenna now the driver window!! suprised there's no FAQ

for those. Anyone can suppk me # for an crossreferenced motor.

trouble is is seems likes it goes down, not up I can hear the relay

clicking wqhen pressing down, nothing on up. If you want to pull it up..

I have to take the door apart.... Crap it's 01:09 AM.

/Anders

Hellos,

I searched the archive in ths forum abd found out the part #

from gmpartsdirect the mentioned # 12512994 has been replaced by

# 12487630 sell for today at $82.85 (+$16-17 s&H)

But anyway I'm not yet convinced I need a new motor, Itmight be the relay

since it rolls down but not up, it can also be a tape jam.... I have to see when I tkae it apart... suggestions are welcome.

I tired slamming the door and pressing the up button but no change, also waited a bit and tried again. oh well gotta go sleep

/Anders

Tape jam isn't your problem. There isn't a tape in these lifts, thats the OLD days. I have found that often the glass will bind in its channel guides; there's one on each side of the glass. Does the window go up while someone (maybe you) holds the UP button and you pull the window up? Probably sticking. If, indeed it is the motor (and it could be, you've got some work to do. Remove the door panel, and with a small dia. punch (drift), knock out the steel center pins in the 5 pop rivets holding the motor/regulator assy. 4 are in the center, about 4" apart in a square; the 5th is up near the mirror. THEN drill out the aluminum pop rivets. Fish the three rollers off thier tracks and remove the motor/reg assy. If the glass is free in its guides, it will fall down.

Hi,

Ok, Will take it apart tonight I guess. There's

only one motor right? which controls the up/down.

Is there really a gearbox, for the window? and the

motorassembly is the same regardless of whcih side

it is.

/Anders

Hi. I bought a window lift motor on e-bay about two months ago . It cost less than $50.00 including shipping.

Not a big deal to install, just pay attention when taking it apart so you will remember where every thing goes.

Before doing all that, try spraying silicone on the channels and light grease on the tracks. Charlie B.

Guest tempest68

Are you sure it is the motor? When my wife and I test-drove our Reatta, the passenger window went down but would not come up. The dealer diagnosed it as being the switch in the console. Cost him approx. $55 from GM dealership for the part.

Yep, OHC6 Indian Man, on one of my '89's, the driver window switch is flaky. To test, keep pressing the switch many times and see if the window operates. New switches were available. smile.gif

Hi,

I removed the console and figured out how to detach the switch from the

cables, will take the switch apart tomorrow, mabe during lunch If I

get the big electronic lab at my disposal. I'll do some polishing/maintenace of the other parts as well, changeing diodes for the gear indicator, and cleaning

up the springsteel strip(the wafer steel piece which moves with the gear stick).

I was amazed about the ammount of junk I found under the console - also

gave me ideas for wiring a mp3-player from the armrest compartment. I'll post

back when I'm finished.

Btw, I was at autozone and checked out alternative antenna kit, and window motor, by visual inspection it seems like they both are good replacements

item: #'s price

Siemens windowmotor WL42000 $42.99 +tax

Metra antenna kit 44-pwr22 $26.99 + tax

oh, yeah the siemens ahd lifetime warrranty(who cares you still

have to get the peice out).

Did I mention visual inspection.......? It looked good, don't blame me if they

don't fit.

ok, I'll make a rewrite of theconsole FAQ if I feel I have the extra time.

(gotta give something back to this community.)

Cheers,

/Anders.

Agree - is a single dc motor, up and down are done by reversing polarity so it if works one way it should work the other.

Most common failure mode of the motor I have seen is when it comes down ok but only goes up part way and stops. If you wait for it to cool off/reset it will usually go up more. This will worsen in time.

Agree, down but no up at all sounds like the switch.

Personally would remove switch and just jumper connections first. If works that way is switch, if not, is something else (relay, wiring).

Is no substitute for proper troubleshooting when not certain.

A good rule of thumb is do not replace a part unless you know it is bad. Many time we replace things only to find out it was not the part that failed. In this case, the switch is much easier to get at than the motor. Spend some time checking with VOM and narrow down the problem before you spend any money(or take something apart you don't need to.)

Good luck.

Tnheygirl here didn't login. crazy.gif

It is the regulator. Mine did exactly the same thing last summer. Rolled it down, rolled it up and it stuck 3/4 of the way up making a clicking noise. Wouldn't budge no matter how hard I tried to manually lift it up. I replaced it myself! One of the few things I didn't screw up! Watch out though, there is a part in there that will take your fingers off in one swipe! tongue.gif

Wehaw!!!

It was the switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My window rolls happily up and down!!

Thanks for the help!

Really, Thanks

now I'll deal with the antenna, but first i'll polish and clean all the console parts

and som armourall!!

/Anders

/Anders