Compar-O-Meter Automobile Headlight Tester

PWeideman

Hello, 

I just found this site, looks great. I am working on a 47 Dodge WF-32 1 1/2 ton stake truck that is coming along nicely. Also found a 65 C500 LCF with a 318 poly, dump bed and looks like a cable set up to haul cars for $700. Pretty good price considering I could scrap it for more. Haven't touched it yet. Too cold in Michigan now. Let me know if you know anyone in Michigan that can help me rebuild my 6 cyl long block flathead. Like machining etc. I've never done it before. Pretty sure I have a bearing issue. Most of the oil blew out of the exhausted last time I was trying to enjoy it.

This is cool. I just posted a Compar-O-Meter headlight tester on eBay. I found it at an estate sale. Never seen one before and it's a pretty cool piece of automotive history. I really want to sell it to someone who owns an early 1900s car or truck that it was made for. If you are interested search for it on eBay by title or try this link.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-United-Motors-Service-Compar-O-Meter-Automobile-Headlight-Tester/323046873264?hash=item4b371818b0:g:JMsAAOSwsZJac4pv

The meter I presume, is for balancing your headlights. It measures foot candles. Don't know how to use it but it can't be that complicated. If you know more about one let me know. I do know after searching there are no other meters out there for sale so they must have been tossed out when headlights advanced past the need for Compar-O-Meter technology. If no one is interested no worries. At least, I found another cool car site to waste a bunch of time on.

Paul Weideman

Imlay City, MI 48444

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

The flathead six is very simple and all parts are available from Vintage Power Wagons and other places. Any competent auto machinist should be able to handle the job. It might be best to ask around and see who works on the old engines. Members of your local old car clubs should have some ideas.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 7:43 AM, PWeideman said:

The meter I presume, is for balancing your headlights. It measures foot candles. Don't know how to use it but it can't be that complicated. If you know more about one let me know.

IMG_0097.JPG

My suggestion, in terms of testing, would be to shine the beam from an older 2-cell flashlight at it and see what, if anything happens?