1947 transmission service manual

jackofalltrades70

• 2 weeks later...

It appears to me the synchro is missing?     This is my 54 3 speed.   The transmission are basically the same.  Minus maybe a synchro set up and gear ratios.   I took mine apart as 2nd was grinding.  Found a broken synchro drum.  Sourced one on ebay.  Is the 47 manual synchro for 2nd and 3rd?     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 2/10/2018 at 7:15 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

Yes the sycro is for 2nd-3rd. The syncro is circled in this picture.  The second gear seems to be sliding away from the syncronizer back.

C378221B-AD12-4542-BA6E-473B732CBFE8.jpeg

Different set up than mine from the looks of it. I have two synchro drums for 2 and 3.     At the bottom sump/drain plug area , is there bits of metal from a snap ring or the like  that has failed?   

• 1 month later...

Took the transmission to an goodoleboy, backwoods mechanic from years ago.  Nowadays, all he does is rebuild older engines and the such.  He took the tranny apart, found that someone had installed a

snap ring, that holds the gears forward, was too large to hold in the groove.  Wrong diameter.  Tranny is back together and should have it back Tuesday or so.  

Have to send the clutch disc and motor/tranny mounts to Bob’s and get the new ones back.  Probably another week or so.......

• Like 1