Too many ANONYMOUS people!!!!!!!!!!!

1937hd45

I couldn't agree more...unless a chatter is some public figure who NEEDS security...I think we should all put in our real names...I think it helps us focus on the technological issues...and avoids "personality' issues...!

Pete Hartmann

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

It may be the new format. If most people are like me, they never log out. When we started the new format you had to log in again. You also had to check the box that keeps you logged in, or else you get logged out each time you leave. I made the mistake of posting when I thought I was logged in, but wasn't. I wonder how many other folks are doing the same thing? It'll probably get better after everyone gets used to the new format.

Hal, you're exactly right. If you log out and post something, your name is Anne on E-Mouse. There is no option for anonymous people to assume a name. This may be a good thing, as it keeps people from falsely posting things in other's names.

The only way you can identify yourself without logging in, is like this:

Dave@Moon

Bob & Pete...I totally agree.

I posted many moons ago my outlook on "Anonymous" folks:

ANONYMOUS:

They will challenge this post by saying "it is my option". Fine. "It is my right". Fine. OK with me.

TO CHANGE IT??

1. Not going to happen in my time.

2. Why? An Anonymous is no different than one picking up a ringing phone and the caller dialed the wrong number, however, lacks the manners to say "sorry", I dialed the wrong number.

3. Anonymous is no different than a Telemarketer, in my opinion. Hang up on them.

4. Like a little child making crank phone calls, in some cases on the web, is an Anonymous. Put their childish digs in to rattle people, then sit back to see how they angered someone with class, disturbed intelligent people on a subject, probably sit there, after hitting "send" then giggle like a child, and, so on...

Bottom line, if you cannot say something face-to-face, then, an Anonymous has a problem and I feel sorry for them that they do not have the "manners / class".

One thing I will never do, within reason, is stop helping an "Anonymous" with any input I can contribute to their question, that will help them in the hobby. I realize some "Anonymous" are innocent in the "manners" category. Possibly first time on the site.

The DF'ers meet up at various car shows on a regular basis. Many friendships have developed. We put a "Face to a Keyboard". What's funny is the "Anonymous" is at the same car show, know who I am, but, will never identify himself/herself as the "poster" of any one subject.

Gets back to basic manners and how you were brought up...

Regards, Peter J.

In my case, I would return to the old Forum a day after posting and find that I was no longer registered. This was with the old setup, and I finally tired of it. It was easier to post anonymously than to re-enter all the info every day. But now I've registered with the new Forum; I hope this one's memory is a little longer. tongue.gif

On the old board, a person could type in their name and it would be posted as: " unregistered user <your name here> " Currently this board does not offer that option. Is there a way to turn that feature on?

Harold

Just want to make my above post clear. It was not intended for those having technical problems with the new format. It is my opinion of the "Intentional Anonymous" folks that frequently post on any one forum.

Regards, Peter J.

1937hd45,

The board is working correctly. It just happens to be different that how it worked in the last version of the software. If someone wants to post anonymously there is nothing preventing it. If they want to identify themselves then they can put then name at the bottom of the post.

Thanks,

Peter

Peterg, Thanks for the update. Hope the anonymous viewers don't think I was talking about them. Anonymous POSTERS are the problem, without a name or number you can't tell them apart and post an understandable reply

It does get confusing at times when an anonymous poster ask a question and a couple of anonymous people answer. Throw in someone's reply to "anonymous" and nobody knows who's talking to who.

I see a problem.My last post got taged as "Anonymous", does the web page have some time limit to your "Login"? I checked the remember me again, let's hope it does remember. Guess I'll have to look at my username every time I post to be sure. Otherwise the new site improvements are fine with me.

There was a big difference between Unregistered User ABC and Unregistered User DEF and Unregistered User GHI in the old days; and today's Anonymous and Anonymous and Anonymous. I do not want to be just "ANONYMOUS", but darned if I want to register. I resent being dubbed as an anonymous poster like I am trying to hide my identity, but registration bothers me. Yes, I could sign my name to each post, but so could any anonymous poster sign my name to a post.

This particular change may not be one of the forum's better innovations.

yeah, this new f/t has no useful advantage over the old f/t. My guess is that it is to the advantage of the management ONLY. NOTE, that this change came about within ONE weeks time of Classicar.com dropping some of their chat rooms due to lack of participation.

SalG :First of all, what is anonymous and what isnt??????? If we place our name in the body of the post or SOMEWHERE in the post is that generaly accepted as anon. just because we r not registered?????? Packardv8

Ok Let me try to explain, there are people who come hear and post regularly and do not register. If you are going to be active, why not give us a screen name. I do not mind someone who is unregistered and is only on the forum for one or two quicky post and we never see him/her again. Over the years lots of people ask questions and do not need to sign up, because they are not involved in the hobby i.e. Brides looking for cars.

Peter G, I don't have a screen name because that is just one more screen name and password to remember. I only come here once in a while and would probably forget my password between the times. confused.gif

Is this BBS system run under a BBS company? Or put another way, Yahoo runs BBSs and probably collects e mail addresses for resale.( the other reason why I resist having a screen name) Is this site under another company or is it a club run site?

I will say thanks for the effort everyone behind the BBS puts into this system.

Harold Hunt

Guest DeSoto Frank

I was a little buffaloed too by the new format; now I'm registered, and logged-in, and hopefully won't be anonymous any more smile.gif

I thought something was "up", when my last post appeared as "anonymous" instead of "De Soto Frank"....

Hopefully, others will catch-on and we'll all be "famous"; or at least, 'infamous' wink.gif

Cheers!