How tell original motor in 56 Buick

56 Buick

Hi all

I would be appreciative if anyone can please tell me how it is possible to confirm whether the engine in a 56 Century is original. As far as I am aware the body identification plate does not provide that information and the only likely source may be the original buy sheet or owners manual. But if those documents are not available then is there any other method?

Thanks

Drew

Have you found the engine ID number on the block?  I believe the last digit would have to be a 6, to indicate the engine was installed in a Century.  Other than that, however, I am not aware of any definitive way to tell if your engine is original to the car.   There are some other outward signs that the engine is a 56 though.  Valve covers should have oil breather/fillers, and the valley cover should not have one.  The exhaust manifolds are different for the 56. 

May I ask why this would be of importance? 

Many thanks for the replies. I have been looking to buy a 56 and have never been sure if and how I could check the engine number. I am now aware the engine number can be located at the edge of the machined top face of the block between cylinders 4 and 6 on the driver's side bank of cylinders. Thanks all

• Like 1

The engine serial number is on the driver side there's a pad between the two middle cylinders right by the exhaust manifold.. This number will help determine the year and series.. Back by the distributor is the casting number the factory shop manual And owners manual both show where the engine serial number is... The last digit of the number will tell u what series it was originally installed in..a 4 is a special 5 century 6 super and 7 a Roadmaster..

• Like 2