Need caster specs for 32 66s

v12lincoln

Getting death wobble on my 32 66s, everything in front end is new and tight and car is fine most of the time, these roads in Calif are so bad and we have huge speed bump and speed tables on all our side streets that it's taking all the fun out of driving an old car.

my problem usually starts when going over the speed bump or hitting one of the big ruts made by semis.

ive driven on smoother dirt roads in Oklahoma.

Besides checking the alignment, be sure that the king pins and bushings are good and there is no movement.  If they are worn it can give you the death wobble. 

I am currently fixing the wobble on my '15 truck that has developed over the last few years.  Besides doing the king pins and bushings I am also looking at changing the front wheel bearings from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings.  I am also taking a close look at all of the rest of the front end parts.  Hopefully this will fix my problem.  This is one of my winter projects getting ready for spring.

I have also been told that tire pressure is critical.

Caster spec is 1 1/2 to 2 degrees.  method for checking is to remove the king pin lock bolt and insert a long pin of the same  diameter into this hole.  place a precision level on this pin to get a reading.   This assumes that the car is on a level floor and tires have the correct air pressure.  Adjustment is by shimming under the spring at the axle.  Be sure that your shocks are filled with  oil.  The shocks can  instigate a death wobble if fluid is low.

This info is from page 65 of the 1932 specs and adjustments manual.

Bob Engle

How's the steering gear play? Does the death wobble make the steering wheel jiggle when it wobbles, or does the steering wheel stay put when it wobbles? If the steering wheel stays put I'd say you have a bad steering gear. There is only so much self correcting via caster you can expect on speed bumps. You should be able to hold the steering wheel firm on speed bumps and prevent the wobble.

• Like 1