1960 401 cranking rpm

Bob Engle

What is the correct engine rpm expected from the starter on the 401 engine?  I am having power steering problems and the power steering pump fluid filling  procedure states to not start the car, but run the starter to bleed the system.  The problem with this procedure appears to be the pump rpm is too low for to work the flow control valve for proper bleeding.  

The pump rebuilder keeps telling me to remove the pressure line fitting an jiggle the flow control piston.  This has not worked  for me to get flow through the system.  All I've managed to do is get steering fluid all over the engine by  following the procedure.

Bob Engle

Just a thought if you can not get the starter to rotate as fast as you require for bleeding the pump.  Take the belt off the pump.  Start the engine.  Let it warm.  Reduce the RPM to as low as she will go without cutting off.  Install the pump belt. Start the car for bleeding.  

• Like 1

This reminds me of when I tried rebuilding my pump, and I could not get the flow control valve to work despite "moving it in it's bore". There is a very small ball check valve in the flow control valve and if it gets hung up or contaminated, it needs to be taken apart. If rebuilt properly, it shouldn't matter how the bleeding process goes.

yAT9Z.png

This is from the 1956 shop manual and it states to start the car to begin bleeding. I would check your shop manual, but I would imagine it would be the same.

… perhaps rig up a large high horsepower 90 degree right hand held drill with bar handle and turn it with that while the belt is off …  have an assistant performing the necessary other bleeding / tasks as the manual requires … once bled then hook the belt back up … you can weld a socket to a short socket extension so it will fit on the pulley nut ….

Pull the plugs and crank it if you want to do it that way.

Also, be careful how you disable the spark. If you just pull the coil wire and let it hang Ohn's Law will pull the voltage required for the huge resistance and may damage your coil. I use a short jumper with alligator clips to ground a coil and minimize the resistance.

Or you can disconnect the primary wire at the coil. Either is fine.

• Like 3

Thanks for your responses.  The rebuilder  is very specific in the procedure for putting the system in operation.   They say the warranty will be voided if the procedure is not followed.  I ended up using s right angle  variable speed drill and ran it on the pulley nut.  I increased the rpm until the pressure line began flowing fluid.  I was at 50 rpm above the cranking speed.  While the rebuilder kept saying to remove and jiggle the pressure valve, I believe the problem is to get a prime in the pump which needs a certain speed to force the air out  rather than circulate in the pump.  Playing with the pressure valve is a mess as fluid drains out all over the front of the engine while doing this procedure.  It did not require  much power to spin the pump.  It was a 3/8"  18 volt drill that did the job.

With the power steering operational, I can now get the car to the front end alignment shop and be done with this long project.  I look forward to being on the road this spring.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

I have done a lot of work on power steering systems and always topped off the reservoir, started the car, and cranked the wheel from left to right a few times. And added as needed.

It's a '60 Buick. The thing is just a simple vane pump. Sounds more like an excuse to deny a warranty claim.  Or..... Bill Gates had a procedure for some other installation and added a couple lines of instruction and sold the paper to them.

If you did stick with the instructions how did pulling the plugs work?

Bernie

• Like 2

The reservoir is also meant to be self purging. The lid should have a vented cap to clear the line once the car starts.

Glad all is working now. I hope you made sure to inspect the pump when you got it back. When I had gotten my pump back from a vendor that had similar instructions, it was assembled wrong and led to my pulley and shaft being destroyed.