I.D. this bumper guard--1941?

Pete Phillips

I have attached photos of my installed bumper guards. I have a 1941 Roadmaster sedan (model 71).

Front Bumper: Center guard about 13" long and 4" wide at point where it crosses top of bumper

Front Bumper: End guard about 11-1/2" long and 3" wide at point where it crosses top of bumper

Rear Bumper:  Guards about 11-3/4" long and 4" wide at point where it crosses top of bumper.

Notice the deep curve/notch to conform to the bumper shape. does yours have this?

I believe mine to be original and correct to this car.

41 Buick front Center bumper guard.JPG

41 Buick front outer bumper guard.JPG

41 Buick Rear Bumper guard.JPG

It doesn't look anything like the bumper guards on my '41.  I have the same set up as posted by Roadmaster71 (although it's a little unclear from his photo what is going on in the center of his front bumper).  On my car, I have a double guard in the center with the license plate mount in the middle, as shown in the photo.  Yours looks like the one in this photo of a Chevy on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-30-S-CAR-TRUCK-VINTAGE-STYLE-CHROME-BUMPER-A-BAR-39-38-37-36-35-CHEVY-/122829402204?fits=Year%3A1939|Make%3ABuick

20170622_151945.jpg

Neil ... mine does look just like yours. I have the two center bumper guards around the license plates as you do.

I just took the photo of one of them from the side.

I like those fog lights you have. Are they original to the car? Details?

10 hours ago, Roadmaster71 said:

Neil ... mine does look just like yours. I have the two center bumper guards around the license plates as you do.

I just took the photo of one of them from the side.

I like those fog lights you have. Are they original to the car? Details?

I think they are original to the car, but I don't know for sure.  All I know is that they were on the car when I bought it earlier this year.  They are correct "Guide" lamps which were manufactured by a division of GM, and the oval shape was introduced in 1941.  You can read about them here (scroll down to where it says "OVAL-SHAPED GUIDE FOG & DRIVING LIGHTS."

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/content/pdf/GuideFogDrivingLights.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Neil, I think you nailed it--Chevrolet, not Buick. My face is red! I saw the black painted stripes and automatically thought "41 Buick".

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

Pete

No cause for a red face!  I can see how you would think "Buick" as soon as you saw those three stripes. 

• 4 years later...