Drivetrain Parts Needed for 1913 - 1915 Stevens-Duryea

dpeeler

One would think that the odds of finding almost anything SD that early are slim to none. Most any early engine/transmission from that era have been long ago used in speedster projects. They are great cars, and there are more hiding in garages than you would expect. But production when new was very, very low. If you find anything please share. Good luck! 

Ed,

You are exactly right! This is actually one of 3 short wheel base cars known to exist and came to me as a "parts car". It (1915) was the last year of real production and there were estimated to have only been 500 made. It was a very complete rolling drive train (less the body) and I'm looking for a few  remaining parts before adding the speedster body.  I've never tackled such a project and it's been a lot of fun so far!

Cast the word out....leads on any Stevens-Duryea parts from 1913 to 1915 would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David 

I have learned that with a good degree of patience, generally you will be able to find bits and pieces that will help you.  I have located both Pierce-Arrow and Locomobile parts that way, (patience and long suffering).  Hang in there and keep up the hunt, talk a lot and ask questions to every potential car guy, (you never know).  My dad used to say that folks that owned race horses knew where the race tracks were.  The same analogy exists within the ranks of we old car crazies......

Al

yup, the human side of the hobby is something to hold close to the heart as you never know when something that goes around will come around.  Do you know if something, that may not be an exact match for your rear axle needs could be substituted allowing you to proceed?  (But keep up the hunt in the mean time).  Have you explored the possibility that some of these cars were exported and pieces may exist in another country?  PrewarCar is a good alternative location to check out foreign owners.

Al

Not sure what will cross match other than the typical like spark plugs, magnetos, etc. Fortunately, I have found a very talented one man shop that can make most parts needed sooner than later and that will keep me on the road while I continue to search for originals.   Had not checked the PrewarCar route, but will do so - much appreciated! David

• 3 weeks later...