Question: Delco Model 986281?

Guest clapperc

From what I gather, those radios were notoriously bad from the factory. Good design, poor soldering.  

I think if I was in the market for one, I'd gravitate towards later production. A week 20 radio would be 8 weeks newer than a week 12 radio, thus the assemblers had 8 more weeks of practice in soldering with the week 20 radio. 

Guest clapperc
37 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

From what I gather, those radios were notoriously bad from the factory. Good design, poor soldering.  

I think if I was in the market for one, I'd gravitate towards later production. A week 20 radio would be 8 weeks newer than a week 12 radio, thus the assemblers had 8 more weeks of practice in soldering with the week 20 radio. 

Interesting.  In other worlds... The lower the number... The higher the value.  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, clapperc said:

Interesting.  In other worlds... The lower the number... The higher the value.  Thanks!

???  I believe Matt's post draws just the opposite conclusion, if you want one that is likely to work.

BTW, am I correct that this applies to a 65-66  Corvette radio? 

• Like 1

Guest clapperc
2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

???  I believe Matt's post draws just the opposite conclusion, if you want one that is likely to work.

BTW, am I correct that this applies to a 65-66  Corvette radio? 

Might you see "words" when I wrote "worlds"?  :)

On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 7:22 AM, clapperc said:

Absolutely wrong.  The reason for this is exactly as said above.  When you are talking about common production items, generally, the later the assembly date the better and more reliable the item is and therefore more valuable. There are exceptions, such as item number 1 as it is the first of a new design and collectable simply because it is the first. There are other exceptions, but generally speaking the more reliable and proven the better the item. Now in the case of YOUR radio, it is boxed in an origional packing container from a professional restoration shop. I am assuming D&M restoration is an electronics shop specalizing in electronic restoration, not just a general automotive restorer, in which case it could be an as is pull.  If professionally restored the value is much higher.  Also, when talking about old restoration items the value is very fluid. For example, I am keeping my eyes open for factory sun visors and brackets for my 37 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton and due to the rarity I would gladly pay very well for a pair :) , hint, Hint, HINT.  Anyway, let the market and your thoughts be your guide.

Guest clapperc
43 minutes ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Absolutely wrong.  The reason for this is exactly as said above.  When you are talking about common production items, generally, the later the assembly date the better and more reliable the item is and therefore more valuable. There are exceptions, such as item number 1 as it is the first of a new design and collectable simply because it is the first. There are other exceptions, but generally speaking the more reliable and proven the better the item. Now in the case of YOUR radio, it is boxed in an origional packing container from a professional restoration shop. I am assuming D&M restoration is an electronics shop specalizing in electronic restoration, not just a general automotive restorer, in which case it could be an as is pull.  If professionally restored the value is much higher.  Also, when talking about old restoration items the value is very fluid. For example, I am keeping my eyes open for factory sun visors and brackets for my 37 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton and due to the rarity I would gladly pay very well for a pair :) , hint, Hint, HINT.  Anyway, let the market and your thoughts be your guide.

Might you see "words" when I wrote "worlds"?  :)