1955 - 1958 Power Train

rowan782

Try Indiana Pontiacs (Muncie IN)

765-748-3105 OR

765-358-3103 OR

Search for them on Facebook. 

This is a private salvage yard that is going out of business right now.  They just sold a bunch of parts cars so you might call fast and see what you can do, good luck, Todd C

• Like 1

you can use a 1959 pontiac 389, last year for the reverse flow cooling, have a 55 to 58 flywheel machined to clear the 389's crankshaft counterweight, if you're going to have the early style power steering pump, changed the timing cover to a 55 to 58 timing cover. i am doing this myself as i'm putting a 59-389 mated to a 55 pontiac slant pan dual range hydra-matic trans to install into my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina. i have a 55-287 four barrel engine with it's original hydra-matic trans, in good used condition for sale in southwest missouri.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rowan782 said:

Would the mounts be compatable, or have to fabricate new motor mounts (using the 1955 motor)?  Is motor complete,  Any idea of price?

Are you installing a V8 and transmission into a 1954 and older or 1955 and newer pontiac?, my 55 287 and trans has 60,000 original miles on it, motor is 90% complete, I am keeping the distributor and valley cover/road draft tube, trans is complete less the filler tube/dipstick and control levers. $500.00 for both.

Installing into 1958 Star Chief Grand Safari wagon - engine and trans.  I guess I would be out searching for parts to make complete unless you know where I could get the missing parts.  Price is good though.  I am in southern Illinois so reasonably close/

58b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...