1925 roadster wood kit

sligermachine

Welcome, 

I looked back at your other posting.  What Model is your car.  I can tell it is a 1925 Master.  Model 44 or 54?

Plan A - Find parts- It is possible that you could find doors and a trunk lid.  Possibly even rusty and you could get the wood out of them.  If you are "looking for parts", you should try making this request in the Buick Buy and sell section.  Perhaps look thru past articles for people selling parts for 1925 Buicks.  You do have a pretty rare car, but it is a desirable one.  Also need to know the range of years the doors or trunklid span and that will help in your search.  Thats why I need to know the model.

Plan B- Fix what you have or make new.- Do you have any of the wood for these areas?  I can share photos of how the doors are built based on my Touring car.  The wood will not fit your car though, and I don't have a trunk. So these photos show the construction of the wood.  Tennons on all the corners.  Even having the wood, the frame probably needs to be reglued (epoxy) and you have to get the frame straight while the glue is drying.  The Epoxy is nice because you have time to work with it.  I put plastic bags in the corners to make sure the wood did not stick to the metal as the glue dried.  Even at that, I made the bottom pulled in just slightly (about 1/4") more than the top because the latch is near the top of the door and you will notice that on many of these cars, the bottom is sprung out when the door is closed.   I actually got the door pulled smooth on the latch side, and then shimmed out the top 1/4" during the gluing process.  I had only 2 nails at the bottom of the doors to hold the sheetmetal in place during the gluing.  After the glue dried, I took out the nails and the bags, and then reassembled and nailed the sheetmetal on.  Hugh

59f08fc1bda60_2016-09-2909_08_15.thumb.jpg.e4300f495bc4c8e429f6b83af079fd3d.jpgIMG_4577.thumb.JPG.08c0d75b8f6e8c3ef20de27c20ff5416.JPGIMG_4634.thumb.JPG.d2f608bdaab60a02a207998b571fc47f.JPGIMG_4630.thumb.JPG.df05b58f03b4da6220de7b204b7e5a34.JPGIMG_4631.thumb.JPG.f8f13962a1356602f1d006de08a42282.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice paint. thank you. Is the wood oak in your doors ? 

I bought a  dry tree  and had a mill cut it in big 4 x 3  2.5 x 11  15 feet long. to build  the frames I was worried it might rain and get the wood --tree wet be for I could get it put a way for the car interior wood. how long was this part of your build ago in time   .  The wood under car  I keep hoping for some cooler weather in cal. but still to hot to work on it.   

20171026_213821_Film1.jpg

20171026_214028_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
spelling . (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Oak is not the best choice.  It is too brittle in my opinion, and hard to nail into.  Ash is what the wood parts should be made from, but there are several other species that people who know wood much better than I can help you with.  All but a few small pieces of wood are original to my car.  They mainly had to be reglued.  I am not seeing a wood frame between the cowl and the rear of the car.  Do you have this somewhere?  Maybe its the lighting.  Hugh

• Like 1

Hello, Kyle, and welcome to the Buick Club Forum!

I have a 24 4-cylinder roadster, very similar to yours. - It is a project car with no interior, so all the wood is exposed and visible.  The wood in the doors and trunk are complete.

If in the area of Orange County, you are welcome to come look it over.  It won't give you patterns, of course, but basic methods of construction...

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 8:05 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Oak is not the best choice.  It is too brittle in my opinion, and hard to nail into.  Ash is what the wood parts should be made from, but there are several other species that people who know wood much better than I can help you with.  All but a few small pieces of wood are original to my car.  They mainly had to be reglued.  I am not seeing a wood frame between the cowl and the rear of the car.  Do you have this somewhere?  Maybe its the lighting.  Hugh

I have some original wood parts but, as of yet I have not tried to see how the puzzle goes.  That is why  I started here, but first I had to learn how to read email messages.  My wife helped me put the picture on here, a lot of the wood parts are wrapped in wire, it is almost rotted away, so when I try to lay it out I'm going to be very careful can't let it get moved around a lot or it will turn into be dust on the floor.  My 1929 ford was a little easier, I could buy some wood kit to start with, but I was 23 when I did that one.  One door has a wood frame, in all the parts that came with this one, I seen a box with the model # on it, I trying to find. 

20171026_214015_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)

On 10/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, Fr. Buick said:

Hello, Kyle, and welcome to the Buick Club Forum!

I have a 24 4-cylinder roadster, very similar to yours. - It is a project car with no interior, so all the wood is exposed and visible.  The wood in the doors and trunk are complete.

If in the area of Orange County, you are welcome to come look it over.  It won't give you patterns, of course, but basic methods of construction...

when I asked for a pattern I meant for the thumb hole part ,so I could cast some out of aluminum  for the floor boards lift up  thimble part. 

Edited by sligermachine
spelling . (see edit history)