1969 Chevelle SS 396 Convert

caddyshack

On 10/30/2017 at 3:16 PM, lump said:

Matt...."tens of thousands"?? 

I agree with not calling this car a gold mine without knowing more facts----but are you aware that GM produced less than 9,000 TOTAL Chevelle V8 model convertibles in 1969? (Check out stats on Chevellestuff online). And as near as we know, MOST of those were not SS 396 models. So right off the bat, this car has the POTENTIAL to be very valuable. The OP says it has 23,000 original miles, and "all paperwork." If that's original paint, upholstery, etc. Wow. 

More so than regular passenger cars, muscle cars were driven hard, and commonly abused...if not by their first owners, then by subsequent owners. Totally original unmolested muscle cars are quite rare as a percentage of the total extant fleet. As such, muscle car collectors value "survivor" cars much more than nicely restored units. There are many times more restored cars out there than "survivors." 

Silver paint over red interior was not super common in 1969, but i have seen several SS 396 models with this combination, which seems to be much appreciated by collectors today. 

Anyway, we're ALL anxious for details, photos, etc, before advising of value. But the statistics provided by the OP, if accurate, suggest a very expensive car, in my experience. 

Thanks again Lump, and all other comments.

I received a copy of the original GM, Bill of Lading, Chevrolet Motor Division, Invoice dated 11/12/68, destination - Downtown Chevrolet, Mpls. MN. Shipped from Janesville, Wisconsin, arrived 11/16/68.

Option/Extra Equip.             Description                             Amount

Ser. Number                          8 Malibu Convert.                  $2335.90

06A01HA                              Soft-ray tinted glass                     28.50

06A39AY                               Deluxe front and rear                     6.96        (not sure what this is)

06A51AA                               Strato-bucket front                       93.55

06A82ZB                               Head restraints                             13.06

06C05AA                               Convert. Top/Black                          .00

06C06AA                               Power Convert. top                      40.70

06D55HA                              Center Console                              41.51

06L34AB1                             350-hp Turbo-jet 396                    93.55

06M40TA1                            Turbo Hydra-matic                      179.80

06N40BB                               Power steering                              81.35

06PWBAD                             F70x14 Red Stripe tires                    .00

06T60EA                                Heavy-duty Battery                       12.20

06U63AC                               AM Pushbutton Radio                  47.18

06U80AC                               Rear seat speaker                         10.20

06Z25AA                               SS Group Option                          268.40

06788GA                               Med. Red Vinyl Trim                          .00

06912BB                                69-69 Cortez Silver                            .00

Optional Loc Adv. Coll                  10.00      (not sure what this is)

Destination charge                        75.00                    

Total  $3337.86

This is how it came from the assembly plant in Janesville, Wisconsin in Nov. of 1968. 

Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate it.

Skip             

• Like 1

AWESOME car, Skip. Nice to see that it has the 350 hp engine, bucket seats, and console (which includes floor shifter). 

Is that paint and/or upholstery original, by any chance? 

Next it would be great to search for a build sheet. Then you can really sort out the details of what it was originally equipped with. 

7 hours ago, lump said:

AWESOME car, Skip. Nice to see that it has the 350 hp engine, bucket seats, and console (which includes floor shifter). 

Is that paint and/or upholstery original, by any chance? 

Next it would be great to search for a build sheet. Then you can really sort out the details of what it was originally equipped with. 

Thanks Lump,

The paint I am not sure of, I believe that there was some panel repaint due to fading and minor bubbling around the wheel trim. It was never hit or had panel replacement. Upholstery is original with the exception of the plastic front seat back panels. The original red faded so badly that they turned almost pink. They were replaced (from GM stock) in the 80's.

We will search out the build sheet and protect-o-plate this winter.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that you like silver-colored cars. LOL. Mine was purchased new in August 1970 from Bill Heard Chevrolet in Columbus, GA by a guy who had just returned from Vietnam. He owned it until 2003 but I'm guessing that he didn't drive it much the last few years judging from the first pic that I posted....