Early 1965 Mustang Numbers ?? What do they tell me?

I have a early Mustang coupe , clean original. The number on the inner fender is 5F07C305089 The registration number is 4F07C305089 The fender date code is 9 25 D3 and the code on the water pump boss above the water pump is 4J17W  What do all these numbers tell me? Thank you Mike

Even though it was built in the Fall of 64 (probably 9-25-64), it was still considered a '65 year model. My 56 Ford was built 10-21-55 and has some 55 date codes like your car has 64 date codes. It's just odd that you have what looks like a 64 vin number along with a 65 vin number.

Hello Mike.  What do you mean by registration regarding the 4F07C VIN?  The piece of paper registration card?  You want to go by what ever VIN is stamped on the inner fender driver side.  If you remove the pass. side fender you will also find a VIN stamping there.  What does the data plate say on the drivers door?  Does the VIN on the door data plate match the VIN on the inner fender?  It is common to find VIN mis-stamps on these cars.  The 9 25 D3 would decode as: September 25th Dearborn 3rd shift.  The 4J17W would decode as: 1964 October 17th specific work shift.

I have a '65 Mustang coupe w/ VIN 5F07C395128, so our 2 cars are only 90,039 units apart!  When I bought mine it did not have the right door data plate as the drivers door had been replaced at some point before I bought it but based on my VIN I am able to approximate the build date of mine to be around January 15th, 1965.  What does your door data plate say?  Like I said earlier if the VIN on that plate matches the VIN on the inner fender then your golden.  Let us know what you find!

Matt

Matt Ill look today! That is amazing My car was bought from the original owner ,I have the window sticker and still wears  its factory paint. It was never driven in the winter. Its Wimpleton  white with red interior , console ,v8 auto, Neat little car.