Is this car worth buying as an investment?

Guest richsever

How many car guys - do not tell their wife what they spend on the Vintage cars??

The cost of paint , insurance, car parts, the cost of the car..

If I told my wife a spent 10k on kaiser darrin parts I may never use. I would hear #$v%$!@#..

But I have the part for the  guy that may need it..

• Haha 1

The way we got into it was that my mother had a favorite vehicle in our collection ('37 Plymouth), so we restored that vehicle first, but when we were doing it, we bought all of the tools and equipment to do the other cars as well......

Once you have the tools and equipment to do other cars, that's half the battle when it comes time to restoring something else.

If you're restoring a vehicle your wife likes, there's nothing saying that you can't throw a bumper or some other stuff in when you sent the chrome to her favorite car out to be replated.  When it comes to buying parts, you buy a few more parts for something else too.

Once she loves the vehicle, you hope she's in a good mood so you can do another one. 

We did the Plymouth pickup, we ordered extra parts to do the woodie, and when it came time to do the woodie a lot of the parts were already there and paid for, so the price wasn't as steep on the woodie and we stayed out of trouble.  When you have a series of part numbers, in most cases that doesn't mean as much, and at the end of the day, you have another vehicle restored too.

• Like 3

I would say that usually the best way to turn $20,000.00 into $8,000.00 is to restore a car.  Now there are exceptions, but usually buying a car to restore and make money by flipping it is a loosing proposition for the non professional.

That said, like art, you buy a car because you like it, want it, and want to drive it as a statement of your personality.  My view is that it is an item to enjoy.

As I tell my wife, I don's smoke, rarely drink, no girlfriends, no airplanes, no quad runners, no boats, no snowmobiles, no motorcycles and I do not go to any professional sports games and don't gamble.  I just own a few old cars.  :)

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

I would say that usually the best way to turn $20,000.00 into $8,000.00 is to restore a car.  Now there are exceptions, but usually buying a car to restore and make money by flipping it is a loosing proposition for the non professional.

That said, like art, you buy a car because you like it, want it, and want to drive it as a statement of your personality.  My view is that it is an item to enjoy.

As I tell my wife, I don's smoke, rarely drink, no girlfriends, no airplanes, no quad runners, no boats, no snowmobiles, no motorcycles and I do not go to any professional sports games and don't gamble.  I just own a few old cars.  :)

Or in my case I can add that I don't golf, fish or hunt. I do "junk" and sell a few parts to help offset my costs...

23 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Ditto on most of it.  I don't drink at all, but I have a Harley.  Everything else is the same.