1951 Chrysler Paint

I am trying to repaint my 1951 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country its original Highland Maroon (also called Majestic Maroon in 1952). This seems to have been an uncommon paint in those years. The paint code is 62 and is Duco 246-55928-M and Dulux 93-55928-M. However, here in Alaska, none of these codes translate into a specific paint recipe from which I can get a can of paint blended. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than having my paint scanned) on how to recreate this original paint?

Thanks very much,

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Wiedmer said:

Thank you for the tip about Autocolorlibrary. That site doesn't list HIghland Maroon, but they may still be able to mix it.

Mike

Your paint code number is  on page 2. It looks like it was a color carried over from a previous year and maybe a name change thrown in to mess us all up.

What brand of paint do you prefer, and where do you buy it? Your paint dealer should be able to get the formula from the manufacturer of the paint. They have all kinds of colors going back to the 1920s. I got paint for a 2 tone 52 Chrysler New Yorker from Sikkens about 15 years ago, and they weren't even in business in 1952. All they needed was the paint code off the firewall ID plate.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

11 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Your paint code number is  on page 2. It looks like it was a color carried over from a previous year and maybe a name change thrown in to mess us all up.

Thank you for the lead about the Ditzler paint code. I hadn't tried this code (only the Duco and Dulux). Maybe this Ditzler code will get me further.

Mike

7 hours ago, Mike Wiedmer said:

Thank you, Rusty, for your advice. So far, the local Alaska paint stores haven't found the secret formula, but I haven't given up yet.

That is neither here nor there. Local stores don't have formulas that far back. They have to get them from the company that makes the paint. This is a pretty common thing, I just had to do this on a 1966 Dodge. It usually takes half an hour or less. The paint code on the ID plate, name of the color, or paint company's number is usually enough.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

That is neither here nor there. Local stores don't have formulas that far back. They have to get them from the company that makes the paint. This is a pretty common thing, I just had to do this on a 1966 Dodge. It usually takes half an hour or less. The paint code on the ID plate, name of the color, or paint company's number is usually enough.

Thank you, Rusty. The local paint stores here are pretty good and know the general routine. Unfortunately, this particular color (Highland/Majestic Maroon, #62) seems to be playing hard to get.

Hi Mike,  I'm reading your post regarding your '51 T&C with great interest.  I also owned one of these some 20+ years ago.  I live in Southern California and this is where I found mine.  What I find interesting is soon after I purchased mine I wrote an article what was published in the WPC Newsletter and was contacted by a Dean Smith out of Washington State who wanted to buy mine on the spot.  I told him it was not for sale and he relayed a story to me that he knew of only one other and it was in Alaska.

I'm guessing yours is one in the same.  Do you remember Dean if you were the owner of the T&C back then?  Eventually Dean was so persistent that I did sell it to him and have regretted it every day since then.  

Dean passed away and some relative ended  up with it and painted it a light top and burgundy body adding a continental kit on the rear with other accessories.  Link attached with a photo:   https://www.google.com/search?q=1951+chrysler+town+%26+country+station+wagon&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS399&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=TcI1dbMi6t4gSM%3A%2C8--RR8vdvbYVwM%2C_&usg=__19ryk5uMk2J87WxRg_FHRHSwgqw%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQxYzd9-vWAhVKwlQKHbbcBhgQ9QEILjAD#imgrc=TcI1dbMi6t4gSM:

I did try to make contact with the relative to explore the possibility of purchasing it but never got anywhere.  Meanwhile I've owned a very nice 1955 T&C for some dozen years but my favorite will always be the '51.  Here is a link to the current T&C:  

John Lazenby

John, thank you very much for your reply. You are my first connection to another '51 New Yorker Town and Country owner, either current or former.

I purchased my station wagon in Anchorage in 2014. This T&C was delivered new to the Fairbanks, AK Chrysler dealer, where it was driven briefly by the dealer's wife. They quickly sold it to a young surgeon new to town who kept it to c. 1990; after which it bounced around through several owners, one of which who bought it just to pull the hemi engine. When I bought it, it had sat for many years without an engine, with shot upholstery, but with an excellent, rust-free body. I found a correct replacement engine which we rebuilt, along with the original transmission, and we recently installed both. I never had any contact with Dean Smith.

The young surgeon who bought the almost new T&C and who kept it for four decades, is still in great shape, remembers every detail about his former wagon, and in November will celebrate his 93rd birthday. His children, who still live in the family home in Fairbanks, continue to pull T&C parts from their garage shelves and rafters.

Please let me know where to find your WPC article, as I would greatly enjoy reading that. I also enjoyed your video, and had seen it before, but I did not realize then that the other station wagon to which you referred was a '51.

I will need all new correct upholstery, so I will need some advice there as well.

Thanks again,

Mike

Very interesting to hear of someone else who has an interest in the long wheelbase New Yorker Town & Country Station Wagons of 1951.  Just about any of the Chrysler wagons from 1951-54 are an uncommon sight, but the 51 NY is, by far, the most uncommon of any of these.

I have a relative who formerly owned one for several years, though it was in need of restoration when he bought it in the early 1990s.  It spent most of its life in Nevada, and had been around the Fresno, CA area for some time when he got it.  He had been searching for one for some time when this car was listed in Hemmings Motor News.  It was a huge beast of a car.  He kept it for over 20 years before selling it a couple of years ago.

I owned a 54 NY wagon during the 1990s - it was my daily driver for about a year.  I loved the car, though it had an appetite for gasoline.  It would easily keep up with modern traffic, but, the brakes were just not up to the task of stopping the heavy wagon quickly enough during rush hour.  I sold it in the late 1990s, and I now realize how lucky I was to have owned such a fine quality car.  It was a real head turner, though most of the locals didn't recognize it as a Chrysler.

I can't tell you how many times people asked me how I liked driving that old Plymouth.

Dosmo,

Thank you for your note and I am always happy to hear from a current or former early '50s Chrysler wagon owner. This '51 is my first and I have much to learn.

We are working on the brake system right now and we will do our best to get as much out of it as we can.

I feel safe in saying that we will have the only maroon '51 New Yorker Town and Country station wagon on our entire street.

Mike

Congratulations on your car and for keeping it the same original colour.  Perhaps, you might be safe in saying, your's is the only maroon one in your city.

• 5 months later...

Mike,

I am also just starting out on a 1951 Chrysler Station Wagon. Mine is a Windsor Town and Country in sea foam green. How has the brake overhaul gone? Mine has the taxi package. Which I'm assuming means larger brakes and suspension. I haven't gotten started on anything yet,  just looking for a junk yard parting out one.  Still haven't found one. I need some of the back seat mounting hardware and some trim pieces. if anybody knows of one let me know! any chrysler or desoto from 51 to 56 will work for the back seat. Does yours have the faux alligator upholstery?

greg

Greg,

The official name for the faux alligator upholstery is "TOLEX" and I believe you can purchase it through https://smsautofabrics.com/  This material was used through the 1954 model run on Chrysler wagons.  Also 1954 was the final year for the natural colored wood on the rear decking.

I'm thinking the hardware may have changed between 1954 and '55 due to a major body change.  Also, the latch assemblies for the rear gate changed I think between 1951 and 1953.

Should you know of a qualifier buyer with an interest my '55 T&C which is shown in an earlier post on this link is on the market.  I'm retiring very soon and will loose some storage at my business.  I've been selling of cars for the past few months.  It is not a panic as I can keep what I currently have at my home but it is a bit cozy.  The truth be told I have more cars than I can manager.

John

6 minutes ago, johnlimperial said:

Greg,

The official name for the faux alligator upholstery is "TOLEX" and I believe you can purchase it through https://smsautofabrics.com/  This material was used through the 1954 model run on Chrysler wagons.  Also 1954 was the final year for the natural colored wood on the rear decking.

I'm thinking the hardware may have changed between 1954 and '55 due to a major body change.  Also, the latch assemblies for the rear gate changed I think between 1951 and 1953.

Should you know of a qualifier buyer with an interest my '55 T&C which is shown in an earlier post on this link is on the market.  I'm retiring very soon and will loose some storage at my business.  I've been selling of cars for the past few months.  It is not a panic as I can keep what I currently have at my home but it is a bit cozy.  The truth be told I have more cars than I can manager.

John

John,

Thanks for your reply. I was basing the run on that hardware on looking at photos and videos online of station wagons from those eras. While the natural wood changes, the chrome bits all look the same to me, tho you can't see the pivots in photos. all the other bits look identical. Of course I could be wrong! Thanks for the tip on the fabric. I'm going to redo the front bench myself. My back seats are mint. well, apart from the pivots missing. Good luck with your sell off. I've included a pic of the pivot on the outboard side of the back seat-I need the inner ones.

greg

seat-pivot.jpg

4 hours ago, Greginpa said:

Mike,

I am also just starting out on a 1951 Chrysler Station Wagon. Mine is a Windsor Town and Country in sea foam green. How has the brake overhaul gone? Mine has the taxi package. Which I'm assuming means larger brakes and suspension. I haven't gotten started on anything yet,  just looking for a junk yard parting out one.  Still haven't found one. I need some of the back seat mounting hardware and some trim pieces. if anybody knows of one let me know! any chrysler or desoto from 51 to 56 will work for the back seat. Does yours have the faux alligator upholstery?

greg

Greg, thank you for your post; and congratulations and good luck with your project. Regarding our brakes, we put kits in the wheel cylinders and White Post resleeved the master cylinder. As we are within a few hours of starting the engine for the first time, we haven't tested the booster. Pads and drums were fine and didn't need any attention. I have seen a few station wagons listed online (e.g., https://www.dvap.com/salvage/1951-chrysler-town-country-51cr4240c/) that might be useful for parts. As you said, both Chrysler and at least Desoto shared many trim parts that were kept from ~51-54; but I am not an expert on Chrysler history and don't know the details of each part. As John said, SMS has the Tolex fabric and they are fabricating new seat cushions for me now. I haven't seen the final product, but they did send me a sample of the faux alligator material, and it was a match for my original. Again, good luck, and if you have other questions, I will do my best to share my restoration experiences.

What good luck that you only needed wheel cylinders and a MC rebuild. My booster has been bypassed with a late 50s one mounted on the firewall. Not sure if either work. Will probably rebuild the original and loose the firewall one. i'll check with SMS about the Tolex. Desert valley is checking for me now about those parts, thanks.

Greg

33 minutes ago, Greginpa said:

What good luck that you only needed wheel cylinders and a MC rebuild. My booster has been bypassed with a late 50s one mounted on the firewall. Not sure if either work. Will probably rebuild the original and loose the firewall one. i'll check with SMS about the Tolex. Desert valley is checking for me now about those parts, thanks.

Greg

Greg, perhaps in a few days I will be able to determine what we will need to do with our original booster. It is intact and externally all seems fine. Good luck on your parts and upholstery hunt.

• Like 1