1949 fuel pump

richmond

I don't know which series car that was but...

1941-51 Series 40 and 50 used AC pump type 529.

1941-51 Series 60, 70 and 80 used AC pump type 530.

Later 1940 Series 60, 70, 80 and 90 cars used the 530 and later 1940 Series 40 and 50 cars used the #529.

I think they both include a vacuum pump for the wipers.

Based on this repair kit, the same or a very similar pump was used from c. 1938.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-AC-519-529-530-FUEL-PUMP-KIT-UNLEADED-1941-1942-1947-1948-1949-1950-1951-/382209927215?hash=item58fd7ca82f:g:6EQAAMXQHDlRbZuE&vxp=mtr

Of course you could always buy the refurbished one from Bob's Automobilia for $205, assuming you have a non-working pump to exchange ($100 core charge).

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Richmond,

Spinney's got it right. Get a kit and rebuild it yourself, then you can run the corn gas we are all forced to buy, safely.

Rebuilding a pump is easy and fun......

A Saturday afternoon at most, including a few beers.

There is most likely a you tube video on how to do it. FYI.

Mike in Colorado

There is one recently listed on eBay that looks pretty much the same as the one is Bob's photo, about $50 I think. It is not for a Buick but another GM brand. Whether it would fit, I don't know. The only difference between the pumps that look the same on the outside is the actuating arm. I don't know what that pump you have is off so it is a lottery whether it will work. It will bolt up, but will the arm contact the cam? if you have the sump off, can you see the contact from below? If so, can you bolt the pump on and get your friend to turn the engine over while you watch to see if the arm stays on the cam?

Basically, don't overhaul that one until you know if the arm is the right one. I suspect it is not.

Whats the problem with your pump ? ...leaking ? ...or no gas pumping ?...in this case i wuold open the upper cover (the 10 Bolts) and check first the diaphragm for damage and under it the both valves (ca.1" diameter)  one for "in" and one for "out".

I last time ,i had a pump on the Bench,there was the only Problem ,that this valve comes out of the housing... ,they are pressed and at the corner rivited with a Chisel or like that. 

I presses it back into the housing and thats it.

Another Problem was,the repairkits are had the wrong size Valves and also a wrong diaphragm-size inside.

Ordered from Bob for the right year.

only M2C