New 28 Ford, have some questons

VinnieCap

Hello,

Been a member here a long time, but haven't posted much.

I just purchased a '28 Ford Model A. . I first started looking at this car in 2009 and was able to buy it off of the family just last month.

It was an AACA Senior National First Prize winner in 1983. The car has deteriorated some what, but still overall it's in great condition.  The car is all original (not modified), so still 6 volt, and all the '28 stuff still correct.

Hopefully you guys can answer some questions for me:

1. I just replaced the headlight bulbs with 2 Bulb Type - 6 Volt - Double Contact - 32-50 Candle Power. Now when I turn on the headlights the ammeter pegs discharge and the car will sputter and not want to run. What bulbs can I use that will correct this issue?

2. The key does nothing. Car will run with it in off position. It's original to the car. Can this be rebuilt and who does this type of work, is it worth keeping original? Or is a repro better?

3. The nickel plating on the radiator and headlights is dull. What can be used to polish this with out buffing through the plating?

4. The horn works but doesn't always give the full ahooga.  Is there a cleanup trick for this to get it to work smoothly?

I may have more question but that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks
Vinnie

IMG_5168.JPG

Edited by VinnieCap (see edit history)

OOGHA horns take a LOT of juice.

THE most common problems are inadequate battery cables and lousy connections, especially the ground connection.

The horn motor may need some attention, probably an oiling at a minimum and it could be a corroded horn button contact too.

I presume it has a pop-out ignition switch.........I can't remember if home repairs have been successful........:wacko:

What is the charging rate with the lights off?

You can easily jack it up but you don't want it very high for daytime running, around 3-4 amps, or you'll boil the battery to death.

I used chrome cleaner for the nickel on my '27 Tudor T which has the identical color scheme as your A........ :P .......which is a VERY nice looking ride!

TudorPainted.jpg

1. I just replaced the headlight bulbs with 2 Bulb Type - 6 Volt - Double Contact - 32-50 Candle Power. Now when I turn on the headlights the ammeter pegs discharge and the car will sputter and not want to run. What bulbs can I use that will correct this issue?
      More than likely this is a short in the headlight socket, not a bulb issue.  A's are notorious for the contacts in the headlight socket shorting out to the body of the socket.
2. The key does nothing. Car will run with it in off position. It's original to the car. Can this be rebuilt and who does this type of work, is it worth keeping original? Or is a repro better?
 Is it an original pop out switch?  If so, you push the button in until it clicks and stays put to turn off the ignition, turning the key will unlock the button and cause it to pop out.

3. The nickel plating on the radiator and headlights is dull. What can be used to polish this with out buffing through the plating?

Any chrome polish will do

4. The horn works but doesn't always give the full ahooga.  Is there a cleanup trick for this to get it to work smoothly?
Clean the commutator (the copper thing visible when your remove the horn cover) with a pencil eraser!   Have someone beep the horn while you gently apply the eraser to the spinning commutator.  Then oil the armature with a light oil- sewing machine oil works for this.
Edited by Pete O (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...