32 buick oil temp. Regulator

TP32

Hi everyone 

My name is Tony  This is my first fourum so please bear with me . I have a 1932 Buick ser. 67 S  The oil temperature oil regulator is leaking coolant into the oil pan and needs to be repaired.

I can have it repaired but I don't want to go through coolant in the oil again.therefore my question is .If I block off the regulator as mentioned in previous forums and leave the rad out of the regulator and block the two holes where the oil lines were will the engine run cooler on a hot day without the restriction of the coolant being forced through the small rad?  I can't see how that small rad is effective in cooling 11 quarts of oil.

thanks.   TP

Tony,

I think the engine will run hotter without the oil cooler, and they can be repaired.  But the question is how much hotter and that depends how much driving you will do.  I think more important is that you Silphon unit and the radiator shutters function properly

Did you just buy that car or have just completed restoration? Where are you located?  Suggest you join the BCA if you have not done so.

Welcome to the forum.  As you can  see from my info, and have the next series down, 57S.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the advice. The rad shutters are locked in the open position. I have two of these small rads and will get them both repaired tomorrow. The engine rad was flushed and checked last winter.I have had this car since 1973 and have finally completed the restoration 4 years ago due to mortgage,family,university and business commitments .We drive the car every weekend and our home is located between Delhi and Tillsonburg Ontario I was a BCA member early on , dropped out for a while and rejoined as the restoration became in earnest. ALL of the restoration was done by myself.

PS. I also have a 1958 Buick Limited 4 door hardtop.

Thanks.  Tony

• Like 3

Modern oils can withstand much higher temperatures before breaking down than 1932 oils. Why not purchase a quality infrared temp gun and monitor the oil temperature during operation without the cooler. I feel that under moderate load and a properly operating cooling system you will find low oil temperatures especially with the large sump. This method poses little risk.

• Like 1

With modern multi-viscosity oils, the oil temperature regulator has been overtaken by events and is superfluous.  My advice is to run a straight oil line through the box and let the coolant pass around it.

The idea at the time was that quickly-heated water (via t'stat) would thin the single-weight oil for cold operation, and on long runs the stable coolant temp would help stabilize the oil temp.

DO use multigrade--I use 15W-40 Rotella diesel oil in all my fleet.

Either get your in-radiator t'stat operating the shutters repaired (search the forums for Jim Otto) OR get a t'stat to insert in upper radiator hose (offered by Restoration Supply).