Casualene

Garnet & Gold

There is a product that car dealerships sometimes spray on the firewall and fenders in the engine compartment to protect the metal.  I don't believe this spelling is correct.  Is anybody familiar with this product and what is the correct spelling?  The product is like a wax.  My mechanic gave me this spelling and he admitted he did not know the correct spelling.

It was called "Cosmoline".

From the web :"Cosmoline is the genericized trademark for a generic class of rust inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a brown colored wax-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste (as detected when working with it)."

Cosmoline, I have used it on many vehicles, it is sprayed on with a low pressure spray gun that gets it everywhere.

The clear is the nicest, and looks better on inner fenders and underhood. the black, commonly used as an undercoat, tends to go everywhere, but it does what it is supposed to, be a rust preventative and sound deadener.

A job best done outdoors, cause clean up is a B----h! 

Edited by mensanguy
spelliing errors (see edit history)

Gentleman, Thank you for the response.  Mensa , you are correct in that it is a b---h to remove.  I am preparing my latest acquired TC for a AACA concourse d'Elegance and between other house hold chores including cleaning up after Irma, I have spent weeks and am not done yet.  Been removing parts and cleaning those engine compartment parts also.