1931 Buick engine restoration

Jeff Trahan

I recently acquired a 1931 Buick model 8-96. It needs a complete restoration. The body is fairly solid. I'm not sure all of the trim items are there. The engine is my main concern. The car has been stored in an enclosed building but the head is off the engine and stored in the car's trunk. I don't know what condition the engine was in when the car was taken out of service. Obviously, there is surface rust on the engine and inside the cylinders. The sticker on the window indicates the car has not been operated in about 60 years. Is the engine able to be rebuilt? What should I do?

Thanks.

Jeff Trahan

DSC_7513.thumb.JPG.a821352ec5a4040003aa50432681692a.JPGDSC_7521.thumb.JPG.b727701783abe3e894ca9ffc2d3ee3c9.JPG

Everything is rebuildable with enough time and money.  Most of the time you will not know which you will need more, the time or the money until you get it out of the car and start inspecting it.

First questions, will the engine turn over?  If so, that is a great start.  If not put a mixture of 50:50 acetone/ automatic transmission fluid on the top of the pistons and let it soak.  Might be for a month or two. 

Where are you located?  I am sure there are some of us that are close and would offer to help you on your trip. 

I am currently putting 1,000+++ parts together that is called in my terms a 3D puzzle called a 1908 Buick.  Everything can be done with enough commitment and stick to it mind set.   The real reward is when you take that first drive.  It will be all smiles time.  :):)

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The answer is a qualified yes it can be rebuilt.  The first question will be "Why was it stored partially torn down?"  The biggest issue always is are the engine, cylinder head and exhaust manifold  castings intact without cracks?  Pistons, valves  and timing gears are available.  Unless a connecting rod is bent or broken,  the bearings can be  restored.   There are shops that can do  a good job rebuilding the entire engine.  It's always a question of $$$.

Bob Engle

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't know why it was partially torn down. My grandfather bought the car about 40 years ago and I think he never worked on it. It's just been sitting there.

One post above mentioned pistons, valves, and timing gears are available. How about connecting rods, push rods, valve springs, rocker arms, cam shafts, hardware, etc.? Is it only the block, crank shaft, head, and manifolds I need to worry about?

Thanks.

If just the head is removed, chances are that it had a burned valve - check for that.

While it may sound gross, try to sand the rust out of the bore - then blow the crap out. Then try turning the engine. It will probably need new rings anyway.

Drop the pan and check at least one bearing to adress the  condition.

Since you dont know exactly (unless you find a burned valve) why the engine was taken apart, youll at leas have to do a ring and valve job and take up the bearings if they are OK.

It has been a long time, but I think the pistons on some of the '31's come out from the bottom. Others?

Hi Jeff.  I bought a 31 96 last November.  I haven't gotten it on the road yet as I'm finishing my 25 Dodge Brothers roadster first.  At some point I would appreciate som pictures f the in side of your trunk and the trunk lid.  I'm missing some stuff and need to know how it was intended to go together.  Where are you located?  Jay

Jeff,

My engine is being redone right now. I picked up my running 90 series about 3 years ago and did drop the pan , check compression, etc, but I did not pull a bearing to check the Babbitt. Of course after getting most everything done and starting to drive it, it started to make noise, dropped the pan again and pulled a bearing and sure enough the bearings were going.

So I would follow all the good engine advice so far received, and after that go through the whole cooling system, including the oil cooler.

Good luck.

Chuck