1937 Overdrive automatic installed

mcdarrunt

When we went for our long jaunt the 263 with a Turbo 350 paired with a 2.73 rear end had limitations (real dog) when not on the Texas flat lands. Now have a 4.11 rear with a 2004R overdrive automatic. Why the 200?---because it fits right where the Turb0 350 was and with just 224#ft of torque the 263 straight eight won't put any demand on it that it wasn't designed for. Won't be ready for the Bug Tussle Trek (first miss in 40 years) but will head to the Ozarks in mid-September to give it a test. Got to work since 4.11's with OD was the standard for years. Look forward to staying in the traffic lane rather than limping along in 2nd on the shoulder and that will be a whole lot less embarrassing. Will be a 2.88 final in OD so will still be a left lane cruiser. When in straight drive 60mph will be 3000rpm which the 263 can handle, especially for limited distances.

Yes, has the Bendtson adapter and open drive with a 1970 El Camino rear end. I pass through Luella at least twice a week picking parts up in Sherman (shops in Trenton) so if you ever want to look it over just give a shout. There is a guy next to the closed down gas station in Luella that had some really nice cars; is that you?

Evan

8 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

Yes, has the Bendtson adapter and open drive with a 1970 El Camino rear end. I pass through Luella at least twice a week picking parts up in Sherman (shops in Trenton) so if you ever want to look it over just give a shout. There is a guy next to the closed down gas station in Luella that had some really nice cars; is that you?

Evan

Evan,  I have met the guy you`re refurring to, his name is Butch, not me. I live a mile and a half east of downtown Luella(HA!!)on Cedar Rd. I went to a sale on SH121 a few years ago and recall a `37 Buick sedan parked across the hiway from the sale, must be yours.  From reading the Modified section, Ben Bruce bought his 263 from you and borrowed your homemade engine lift adapter..  Tom

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Evan,  I have met the guy you`re refurring to, his name is Butch, not me. I live a mile and a half east of downtown Luella(HA!!)on Cedar Rd. I went to a sale on SH121 a few years ago and recall a `37 Buick sedan parked across the hiway from the sale, must be yours.  From reading the Modified section, Ben Bruce bought his 263 from you and borrowed your homemade engine lift adapter..  Tom

And I still need to get that lift back to him!  Roadtrip soon??

Evan, did you ever make any headway on the serpentine belt deal.? I am experiencing belt problems.

Ben 

Ben,

I got one sorted out for a 235 Chevy so I think a lot of the same principle will work on a Buick straight eight. Since we are the EXACT same age maybe you can identify with 80 year old bones preferring Texas October weather over July/August weather. Shot of the 235 mock up---later brackets were heavier duty. I just cut the "V" pulleys off on the lathe and there cut serpentine ones so they were a near press fit on the V pulley hubs and gave each one several tacks. Later set the lathe at drive shaft welding speed and run a continuous bead. Got very little warping so could tap true with brass hammer when pulley was still mounted to lathe.

IMG_4179 (1).JPG

IMG_4177 (1).JPG