Finally got a round to it, 1945 ? GMC 3 Ton

1912Staver

I bought this GMC from one of my neighbors quite some time ago. In fact close to 15 years ago. Just moved it to my place this morning. My neighbour has 10 acres , and lots of "stuff" so he wasn't concerned about the truck.  However I realised he was getting on in years and I better move the truck before the situation changed. So home it came. The rear brakes are locked so my neighbor used his 450 JD crawler and a stout chain to help load the GM. 

Is it a 1945 ? The serial number starts with a 5 and the truck has a steam bent wood rim steering wheel , things I am told point to it being a 1945. It's a Canadian truck so things like the model # will be different from U.S. produced GMC's. Last licenced in 1969.  Just at the weight limit for my trailer but only about a mile from my house so I just kept it real slow and made no sudden moves.

DSC_8965.JPG

DSC_8966.JPG

DSC_8967.JPG

DSC_8969.JPG

DSC_8968.JPG

DSC_8972.JPG

DSC_8970.JPG

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Welcome to a very small club. Of course, Chevrolet made nothing as heavy duty as your truck. There is precious little information available for GMC's of this size. Several years ago, GMC had a book published by Krause Publications : "GMC- The First 100 Years".  It has a few pictures of trucks such as yours. You might also check out the website- "Old GMC Trucks.com. I have attached a picture of my '46 1/2 ton, itself a baby compared to your truck. I have some of the parts you'll need to restore your truck. Send me a PM or make the trip to Hershey and see the parts there at spaces GAI 18-19. Good luck, and post some pictures as you bring it back into service.

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

It may be in this document somewhere, I've not seen it yet though.

CANADIAN CHEVROLET, GMC AND PONTIAC SERIAL NUMBERS AND ENGINE NUMBERS

http://hotrod.gregwapling.com/chev-trucks-47-55/canadian-chev.html

1945 GMC MODEL 9763
SERIAL 5976301133
ENGINE G10127%
BODY 12318 PAINT 530

S/N 5978300758
ENGINE G9551%
BODY 11293
TRIM 359 (NICKLE PLATED TOP PART OF GRILL)
PAINT 531 (RED)

MODEL 1783
SERIAL 5178302088
ENGINE # G9218
BODY 11140
TRIM 359
PAINT 531
MAX 15,000LBS

Block 6107428

1945 JAN 1945-JAN 1946 BLACK OUT STYLE
CIVILIAN
GMC TRUCK
SERIES 97
3-TON

& MILITARY MCP
OSHAWA 59XXX00001 59XXX001862? G[GR]-? UPWARDS %
GMC 33.19HP 248.4 CU. IN. ENGINE
? 1945
GMC
TOTL

img02710.gif

Canadian serial numbers and in particular decoding Canadian ID plate data is very difficult for me. I'm on the "wrong" side of the border to find much information on Canadian GMCs, and accordingly, the only place I can really find anything at all is on eBay. Canadian GMC trucks are unique in that the light duty trucks used Chevy engines and GMC wrappers and cosmetics. Heavy duty (and medium duty too) Canadian built GMCs used GMC motors; 270s and 248s for the most part. While the Canadian numbering system and tag contains FAR more information than their American made counterparts, I do not have decoder information for the paint, body, or engine serial numbers on these tags and therefore can decode only the chassis serial number at best. As far as I know, all Canadian GMCs were built in Oshawa, Ontario. 

Up until '53, the light duty trucks ran Chevy 216s from what I can tell. After that they used Chevy 235s, then GMC 248s and 270s in the late '55 on models. Most of this information is gleaned from reading parts and maintenance manuals, and as always, I welcome anyone who has information that they are willing to share and help others. The purpose of this site is informational and to help people. Scans of helpful information is always welcomed, but seldom received.

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0397.html

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Thanks everyone, that's a lot of information !  Looks like it definitely is a 1945. The 1790 unit # puts it late in 1945 assuming the 1861 total in mike6024's post is accurate.  I doubt too many 1945's have survived.  It would have been a 248 from the factory, but it has a 270  {stuck} in it now. Quite a bit of rust , but probably still savable .I also have a 1946 Maple Leaf {Canadian Chevy} 2 ton, Less rust but partially dismantled. 

Thanks for the parts offer greenie. Hershey is a long way away for me. I would like to go some day, but it would be more for parts for my 1912 Staver Chicago. I go to the Portland swap meet most years , as well as some of the Washington State meets. Quite a bit of stuff for this era of truck shows up. Most of what I have seen is from a pick up or now and then  a 1 ton. But I am in no hurry.  Your pick up looks very nice. 

Greg in Canada