Transmission seal 1928

Grant L. Meredith

Grant there isn't a seal that I am aware of. My 29 leaks badly when completely full . I run the 600W oil . If I run it slightly low this seems to help. The ball pivot on the torque tube is the only part that seals. The leather wrap prevents the surfaces from being exposed to certain elements. I also use a large shop floor cookie sheet to catch excess. The transmission is the only leak my car has.

• Thanks 1

Ok.. between the transmission case and the transmission end plate carrying the ball housing should be a seal. Is it leaking from there?

Then, the joint in the ball housing is lubricated through a hole from the oil in the transmission case, maintaining a constant level of oil in the ball housing and the surplus oil returns to the transmission case.

A felt packing at the rear prevents leakage of oil. So probably that one is gone or worn out, guess its leaking somewhere at the shaft.

You can use an oil with a lower viscosity but in this case the joint will not receive proper lubrication. 

I haven't gone in depth yet. The wrap is still. Its my next project after brake setting. Its not at input shaft but at the ball area. If I need to get a length of felt or rope seal I'll besure to get before tearing it down. I'm using a neighbors hoist so not wanting to tie it up. He has his own cars to work on. Don't want to ruin the free hoist usage that's forsure! :)

Grant. I don't recall a felt on my 29 Master. I think everything is metal to metal.. There are different thickness paper shims than can compensate for wear in the ball area when removed.  Last thing you want is a ball adjusted too tight which will lead to deep scaring and even more leaking. I did consider replacing the leather with some type rubber and proper fitting narrow clamps. This would hold any oil in a clean fashion. I decided to keep the leak for sake of originality.