1920's phaeton in Romania

This is said to be a 29 Ford A.  It isn't and someone here will know what it really is.  Thank guys...oops and Gals, in my dotage I am trying to be politically correct   sometimes.  I think it might be 1927 Studebaker President???

13.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The 1927 Studebaker's had disc wheels.   The early 1928 Studebaker GB Big Six had the wood wheels, rounded radiator, and Atalanta radiator cap.   This one looks like it could be an early 1928 GB Big Six tourer.   The one item that either makes this a 1927 (with non-standard wood wheels) is the cowl lights.   The acorn style cowl lights are a feature of the 1926-27 cars.  

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)

As Mark H will know Studebakers of this era are difficult to date because there were overlaps of models and on-going specification changes, so it is very hard to find two exactly the same. This car is a late production Model EU Standard Six - produced June 1926 to September 1927. Only the later ones had the Atalanta mascot, the bullet lamps, and the extra mouldings on the body.  It is on the 5.25 x 21 tyres that only the Standard Six used. The Commander and Big Six used much fatter 6.00 x 20s. Note also the 'quite small' brakes.  I wonder if this body was for export only, as there are no pictures of it in the Crestline book Studebaker Cars, and I haven't yet found one on the net.

• Like 1

NZcarnerd, thank you for pointing out the difference in the tires.  I over looked that detail.   You are correct in that Studebaker cars of this era are difficult to identify from a picture.  To correctly identify them you need the frame, engine, and body numbers.  Unfortunately, in this case, we don't have that information to help us.   This car is puzzling in that everything points to a 1927, however it should not have wood wheels.  I wonder if it was shipped that way to Romania or was converted after it arrived.   

Re the wood wheels I suspect they  were ordered especially by the various foreign importers as they last longer on the poor roads. New Zealand was similar in that our rough roads in that era, with many river crossings, suited wood wheels better. They will bend and twist and go back to shape, especially after a dip in water.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:37 AM, nzcarnerd said:

It is on the 5.25 x 21 tyres that only the Standard Six used. The Commander and Big Six used much fatter 6.00 x 20s. Note also the 'quite small' brakes.  I wonder if this body was for export only, as there are no pictures of it in the Crestline book Studebaker Cars, and I haven't yet found one on the net.

I once owned a 27 President with 7.00 x 20 disk wheels. I don't doubt your knowledge of the car, but you must have calibrated eyeballs.:)

How on earth can you see the tire size? This car looks to be a 7 passenger, by the way the middle child is positioned. Possibly sitting on the jump seats. Also, the Commander had much larger headlights than the Big Six. These headlights appear to be the smaller ones on the Big Six. As far a the Atlanta cap, if it is a first series Big Six, the owner could have added it later when the second series was introduced. As a point of interest, the model designation 'President' was first introduced on the second series Big Six 7 passenger custom sedans ONLY. All other Big Six models in the second series 27 model year retained the Big Six model name...

I think this is a second series Big Six 7 passenger touring... Just my thoughts...

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

5 hours ago, oldford said:

I once owned a 27 President with 7.00 x 20 disk wheels. I don't doubt your knowledge of the car, but you must have calibrated eyeballs.:)

How on earth can you see the tire size? This car looks to be a 7 passenger, by the way the middle child is positioned. Possibly sitting on the jump seats. Also, the Commander had much larger headlights than the Big Six. These headlights appear to be the smaller ones on the Big Six. As far a the Atlanta cap, if it is a first series Big Six, the owner could have added it later when the second series was introduced. As a point of interest, the model designation 'President' was first introduced on the second series Big Six 7 passenger custom sedans ONLY. All other Big Six models in the second series 27 model year retained the Big Six model name...

I think this is a second series Big Six 7 passenger touring... Just my thoughts...

Frank

I can't see the tyre size, it is just the proportions of the car. It simply ain't big enough to be a Big Six.