Fuel Hose(s) Replacement Problem

I am replacing all my original OEM fuel hoses on my TC.  I am using SAE30R9 Fuel Injection Hose and used replacement length the same as OEM.  Thought it would be an easy job.  I've encountered a problem in 2 places where there are tight radii on the TC:  At the fuel filter and by the injector rail.

At the fuel filter, the hose flattens and is almost collapsed when making the 180 degree bend.  See picture of old and new.

At the injector rail (by engine), the "S" curved hose will kink at the tightest radius nearest to the firewall.  See picture of old and new.

Is there a special pre-formed hose needed for the 5/16" hose replacement?  Will standard 5/16" R9 hose not work?  How is possible to solve this?

Thanks in advance for suggestions or any insight of what to do next.

R9-Hoses-1.JPG

R9-Hoses-2.JPG

That looks like cheaply made hose. I don't see any manufacturer's stamping numbers on the new hose. The curved hose on the old filter is a MOLDED hose with this 180 degree formed bend in it.

Hemi,

It does have R9 markings (not visible) and is made by Thermoid (see pic in this reply).  As you say, possibly Thermoid is not a good manufacturer to use!  I figured that R9 was a standard spec.....

If OEM is molded hose, wouldnt all manufacturer's replacement hose have issues?  What is commonly used to replace these hoses and does it survive the 180 degree bend? 

Is there molded replacement hose available?

Thanks!

Thermoid.jpg

Edited by Biarritz
corrected typo (see edit history)

I personally have always replaced my FI hoses with just straight sections of hose, even the ones back by the fuel filter. It takes some mucking around with the length, but I've never had an issue. I do try to use only "name brand" hose...Goodyear for example.

• Like 1

I've had quite a bit of feedback on Thermoid actually being a good brand of R9 FI hose.  I've tried shortening the hose but still get some collapsing/kinking in tight radii areas.  I will try to purchase other brands but dont have a lot of hope.  As Hemi pointed-out, the originals were molded hoses and I can't find molded replacements.

As an alternate thought/solution:

On an old post back in June 2012, user Jim_McNally  posted the following picture where he used 2500 PSI double braided stainless hose for the firewall hoses under the hood.  The braided hose would solve the kinking and clasping of the aforementioned R9 hose.    It looks like he used double clamps on the 5/16" I.D. Hose and single clamps on 1/4" I.D. Hose AND used the clamps right over the braiding.  I am not familiar with clamping stainless hose or know what the orange parts are (tape or exposed hose?).  Anyone else using stainless braided hose to solve this problem?

5970d69f0c8eb_DoubleBraidedStainlessFuelLines.thumb.jpg.cd67f3179cf846f7f1bec27c5eb4c2ae.jpg

Edited by Biarritz
Corrected typo of 1/2" to 1/4". (see edit history)

Well, the fuel hose sizes are 5/16" and 1/4".

I have seen braided hose clamped like that before. I think depending on what the core is this is OK.

I'm willing to bet the "orange" you see here is actually some sort of tape to prevent fraying of the braid.