Dealer accessories

Dave Chiotti

I know that bumpers and windshields were factory options offered on early Buicks.   I think it would up to the dealer to offer the items you mentioned.  After all, some were in the city and others catered to rural customers.  And as far as options for 1926, I would expect dealers to sell the same items over multiple years until their inventory was depleted and replaced with newer items.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Fog Lights.  Spot Light.  Bumpers.  Dual rear spare tire holder contraption.  Engine driven tire pump.  Fancier radiator caps. Visors on some models.  Rim spreader.  Winter front (radiator cover).

Just like today, dealers made good profit on these things back in the day.

Related to that, helped my sister-in-law with a new vehicle purchase a few weeks back in Raleigh, NC.  Seems all the dealers there are putting Nitrogen in the tires and charging $199 to $299 per car for this.  $100 for $15 locking lug nut sets too.

I told them to let the Nitrogen out and take $299 off the price.

Salesman said, 'we can't do that, the 'EPA will get after us'.  This guy must have slept through 7th Grade Science Class, our air is 78% Nitrogen.  We thanked him and moved on to a smarter dealership.  The next salesman let the Nitrogen out and saved her $199 but most importantly he got the sale.

I once saw them try to sell me $300 floor mats.

Guessing the Nitrogen costs the dealer 25 cents per car but you get a green valve cap too. Ha.

• Like 2