Rear brake line

Guest bradwig

Guest bradwig

Hello. Owner of a 1990 Reatta for a few years here. I honestly can't find any info on this topic so I'm hoping someone can help me out. The rear metal brake line that goes between the two back wheels on my Reatta has rusted out and is leaking. The problem is that I can't find a replacement for this piece anywhere I look. I can't be the only one this has happened to as I often hear these metal brake lines rusted out pretty fast on lots of GM stuff. How has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thanks for any and all help!

Depending on your location (not mentioned in your Signature line of Profile settings) most car part stores carry various lengths of pre flared and fitted line. There are no longer "premade parts" like that just for a 1990 Buick Reatta.

Clip out the old, get the fittings off. By the line, tape up the ends to keep clean. Snake it over, or run it a more acceptable route, attach and bleed. Zip tie line securely.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-line?filters=50002

Please put your car year, any options, and your general location here: http://forums.aaca.org/settings/signature/

WELCOME TO THE FORUMB)

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

Guest bradwig

I've finally got the old rusty line loose and disattached. Any idea what diameter I'd be looking for when I start searching for the new one?

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Take the old line, at least a part of it with the threaded end on it to the Auto Parts Store of your choice can match it up. Be sure to have an idea of how long the new piece you are buying should be as you will be buying after market brake lines with the ends already on. When you get to putting your new lines you bend to fit taking care not to kink it. You might want to have something round already "out" so you can use it to help make your bends/turns.

• Like 1

Look also for a product called SURNR, or SUR&R. It is a special alloy that comes in a roll for brake line work in the common sizes. Looks kind of like copper or bronze tubing (but isn't as it is specifically intended and rated for brake system pressure). I've used it extensively and it not only will never rust (as it is not steel) but is hand bendable and much easier to flare. They also sell their own line of fittings, but these aren't required if you prefer to use normal fittings that are the correct size and flare type. 

• Like 1

Much, much easier. I would never go back to steel lines after working with it. Especially as it will outlast steel line by an order of magnitude. Sure, it isn't cheap, but something worth doing is worth doing right. Since I plan on keeping my cars long term, anything I can do to reduce future maintenance needs and improve longevity is a good thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest bradwig

Ended up just going with some standard line from Autozone and bending it with the tools suggested. I'll have to get some pictures later but it actually turned out great! Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone!