1917 d45 freeze plugs

Bob Engle

Going through things on my new acquisition, I found the front lower freeze (core) plug weeping.  It appears to be a 1 1/4" cup type.  

Is there anything unusual about changing these plugs in this car?  I have no experience with anything older than my 32 Buick

Bob Engle

To me, those look like standard frost plugs.

Dig them out and go to Autozone, or your favorite auto store with the remains, or a good measurement of the diameter.

Get new ones and pound them in. Clean up the hole first.

There are six freeze plugs in the 1916/1917 Buick Light Six block.  The two in the front are easy to get at.  The two on the side of the block are no problem.  The two on the back end of the block are problems just waiting for you.  I have enclosed photos of the proper Dorman expansion plug for your engine along with the tool I made to insert them flush into the block boss.  I smeared them good with PermaTex gasket sealer before driving them in.  The black gooey stuff cleans up very well with denatured alcohol.  The part number on the box is what you need.  I am thinking that you can get these at O'Reilly's or AutoZone or NAPA parts stores.  You will want to be careful when you order these plugs.  Tell the counter guy that you want these plugs that are Made in America.  I had the guy order a box for me and when they came in they were stamped 'Made in China' in the bottom of the plug.  HELL NO!!  There ain't gonna be any of that across the pond trash in my 102 year old Buick if I can help it.  The parts guy at Rose Motor Supply here in Hutchinson called their distributor and had them open the boxes that they had and make certain that I got American made products.  I have five full boxes of the American made plugs that will be sufficient for my three Buicks.  Life is good.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

P6240037.JPG

P6240038.JPG

P6240039.JPG

P6240040.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is where I bought my Brass freeze plugs.   http://freezeplugfactory.com/.

The price was very very reasonable.   I would only use brass.     Change all you can reach easily and buy enough for those hard to reach places because you will need them.

I use a screwdriver to tap one edge of the plug to push that edge into the block BUT NOT ALL THE WAY IN.  The opposite edge will or should move out as you tap the edge of the plug in.   Grab it with vice grips and pull it out.   I slso use Permatex # 2 non hardening to coat the edge of the freeze plug.     Terry's tool looks better than pounding them in with a wrench socket.

Fred

• Like 1