Wanted: Brass Float for K D Type B Carburetor

hddennis

Anyone have photographs of this K D installed in a Maxwell for reference?

I am having problems with the Johnson carburetor on my Maxwell. Float seems to not working properly leading to flooding.  This has happened periodically in the past but worse this year for some reason. Also, where might I get the vertical pin on a Johnson carburetor that sticks out the lower part of the carburetor? I was fiddling with this yesterday and it snapped off 

MRCVS, do me a favor and tell me the numbers on your Johnson carburetor. If I can't get my K D working properly I may try a Johnson but can't seem to find one with the proper numbers. Pamphlet lists Model A  A-375  and all I can find is a Model A A-320. Wonder what the difference is?

Howard Dennis

1918 Johnson phamplet.jpg

DSCN4747.JPG

I believe mine is an A 320.

I have a K D carburetor I have considered installing. It's not simply removing one and installing the other.

My weakest link this year is the carburetor. Had problems with it years ago, then good, and now this year flooding and leaking again and cork float obviously not working properly.

I've got to be honest with you I had the worst time of my life trying to get a K D to function properly on my car which is one of the reasons I was interested in your experiences with a Johnson carburetor. I put my car away last winter running perfectly and when I got it out this spring it was flooding and wouldn't run at all. Turns out my problems this year were ethanol related. The gas left in the carb turned to epoxy and stuck the float and plugged and jammed all the other moving parts!

Check here under the post "ethanol problems"  http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/708324.html

There is a Johnson A320 on eBay right now but other than that I don't know where else you could get parts.

On Sunday, July 02, 2017 at 10:51 AM, hddennis said:

I put my car away last winter running perfectly and when I got it out this spring it was flooding and wouldn't run at all. Turns out my problems this year were ethanol related. The gas left in the carb turned to epoxy and stuck the float and plugged and jammed all the other moving parts!

Me too! Ran it Christmas day and it ran well. Now flooding and running rough. Ran two out of four tries so far. Other two tries led to flooding.

Did they change the formulation of awful gas now available to something worse?

• 2 months later...

MRCVS, I didn't mention this yesterday as I was cleaning out my garage and it was a mess and I was not sure what I had. I searched this morning and found a spare fitting. It will require some hand filing to return it to good threads and the end may need to be reshaped to seal against the fuel line but it's better than trying to cobble together available modern fittings. If you want it your welcome to it, just send me your mailing address.

Howard Dennis

100_2616.JPG

100_2617.JPG

100_2618.JPG

100_2619.JPG

Good, glad I could help. While we're talking Maxwell's have you seen the new paperback "Chasing Grandpa" about the two grandson's who crossed USA in a 1917 Maxwell last year as their grandfather did 100 years ago?

https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Grandpa-Richard-Tuthill-Bassemir/dp/1547192488/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1505479552&sr=1-1

Howard

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM, hddennis said:

Good, glad I could help. While we're talking Maxwell's have you seen the new paperback "Chasing Grandpa" about the two grandson's who crossed USA in a 1917 Maxwell last year as their grandfather did 100 years ago?

https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Grandpa-Richard-Tuthill-Bassemir/dp/1547192488/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1505479552&sr=1-1

Howard

I did not realize there was a book about this. I have a clipping about this from the Wall Street Journal.

• 5 weeks later...

Just found something interesting in the parts that came with my Maxwell from it's 1960's unfinished restoration. It was a N.O.S. Carter float in a box marked #21-29S and an online search shows it fits late 20's and 30's brass bowl Carter carburetors. It's an almost perfect match for the cork float in my Maxwell K D Type B on my Maxwell except for the float hinge.

Anyone done soldering on these type brass floats? I need to unsolder the original hinge and re-solder my cork float hinge to it. I have a dual heat range older Weller electric soldering gun and wonder if this will work?  I'm worried about overheating and opening up a seam and also what type solder do I use. Any ideas or suggestions or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard Dennis

1 Carter Brass Bowl Float #21-29S.JPG

Gary Gates Carb 5.JPG

• 6 months later...