'63 & '64 steel wheels

RivNut

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

The 66-70 Buick chrome wheels may be hard to find, maybe but they pop up once in a while. The next question is condition? Steel wheels and hub caps, wheel covers are not hard to find. The steel wheels in raw condition are about $65. On eBay. Sometimes you can find them media blasted and powder coated for $140. Or so.

In the case you enjoy treasure hunting Id imagine salvage yards still have some of what you need.

One of our members said he got a set of 802’s for $150. That is a deal.

Turbinator

I have a local friend who has a bunch of 61 steel wheels from 61's he has parted out (some came from me) and he said I can take any 4 I need, and I have some 65 hub caps, although not correct for a 64.  Also have a line on some local rally wheels cheap, but not sure on the year.  Just wanted to make sure they would work, and it sounds like they should.  

38 minutes ago, cjp69 said:

Just wanted to make sure they would work, and it sounds like they should.  

Can't trust my memory any longer. The 61’s should have the 4 holes in the wheel just in case you want 64 turbines in the future. The 4 holes allow you to bolt the wheel covers to the wheel. 

Measure the bore hole in 61 wheels and match it up with your brake hub register ring.

Measure the WIDTH of the wheels you get to make sure they are 6” wide. They did make 5 1/2” wide for the 63. I never fault a person for being careful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Can't trust my memory any longer.

Bob, you're not kidding.

I purchased a set of 5 SureTrac 225/70-15  WSWs almost a year ago.

I DO NOT remember the stamping numbers they verified for me as requested when removing 30 year old tires.

However. I DO remember they damaged my rocker pinch welds lifting my Riviera incorrectly.

Too much thought on an otherwise simple subject of OE Wheels!

So, for our classics, have to remember:

- Have Installer to confirm stamping numbers with tires off.

- Paint stick stamped number on back side.

- Bring wheels to tire shop, not the car!

The 5th wheel with a 2" center cap hole had a different stamping so I made it my spare. The other four had 2.125" hole (802s?). Installer confirmed the number being different but I have since forgotten. That 5th wheel is likely a #895 and will touch those fins. A mistake!

Also, my four 1966 center caps  fit snug, not tight. Meant for 2"hole? Yet, they have a death grip if I try to force it onto the spare with a 2" hole.

DSC01337.JPG.acd899ec0019bb8ef7fd48a83383c8a2.JPG

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

John, the register ring is not a show stopper.

Take straight edge and place the straight edge across the wheel where center cap is located. If the straight edge rocks you back space is 3 7/8”  1971 forward. If the straight edge is level you have a wheel that is 3 3/8”. The wheel is either an 802 or 853.

The ones in demand are the models that are matched. All four 802’s and 853’s deserves something extra because you have 4 that match. Add the chrome plate and goodcolir on vanes and webs and you have something to offer.

I'm the first guy to squeeze a nickel on items a nickel can be squeezed. On my hobbies I tend to get what I like to have at a price within my range of price acceptance. Normally, I wont price grind unless I don't like the seller. And even then the price or having the item is no longer important. I try to give my customers the tiniest wiggle room by rolling out a great value for the price. Some do not see the value for the selling price and expect bargain basement pricing.

Those buyers can sometimes be persuaded to see the light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1