1934 Buick Body & Paint Numbers

Danl

I have recently purchased a 1934 Model 47 Buick and am trying to match the paint. I think it's Bellevue Beige but the Paint Code is #405 ... not #361 as some of my internet sources indicate. I believe that the paint is original lacquer but I don't know anything for sure. I have attached a pic of the body plate. I would appreciate any information that would help me with the original data as my intentions are to keep this car as original as possible. My suspicions are that all was not as orderly in the production process as it is today. The car has dual side mounts which are another color of brown.   

Paint 1.jpg

yes the original paint would be lacquer,so good paint thinner will soften it up all other paints will wrinkle.i would carefully remove layers of paint to find the stock color ,and match that, colors in those years are simple for a paint store to match.see if you can find a spot 3x3 inch and polish it up ,between the fender and the body maybe.

old buick pics 023 (Small).JPG

I guess if I was repainting it but what I would like to do is touch it up in a few areas with lacquer. I hear that it is still obtainable so my hot rod buddies tell me. Most of the paint is in excellent condition. I think they can scan it for the color as you say but I'd like to find out why the numbers don't match.

I no nothing about 1934 Buicks but could it possibly have been Nassau Tan? The BCA Judging Manual gives 1934 Paint Code 405 as Nassau Tan.

http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bca_judging_manual.pdf

I suspect your car is like my 1937 Buick. It simply got repainted in lacquer sometime many years ago.

I am in the process of doing some touchup painting. I could not get any lacquer locally but I was able to get the paint store to shoot the car with their color computer and mix up some perfectly matching single stage enamel that i am using to touch it up. I am blending it in a slow process of painting and after some drying, blending it with a paint thinner soaked shop towel. It is a slow process but seems to be working well for me.

Thank you for the info. Yes I have red the judging manual for Nassau Tan for a model 48. I found a chart for the ACME chip which is not a match. Is it possible that there is error in the codes. I am not a blending expert or mixer and will have to consult with more experienced people when it comes to it. I've been trying to simplify it ahead of that with some research.

20170417_105226.jpg

gm_1934_buick_acme_c_04.jpg

2 minutes ago, Danl said:

which I think is a match

Old chips are useless as they discolor badly.

Find TPC GLOBAL site.  They have restoration area in the paint type/listings.  Then poke around as they have color lists by year/make, and as long as you are not in a EPA State, you can get the right color in Acrylic Lacquer, SS urethane or Acrylic enamel.  I just did test colors sprays on my car panels, of my 2 tone blue 32 Nash.  I had mint original paint on one hidden part and resprayed half of that large spot, for a perfect match from TPC