Want a completed speedster with 865 cu in Hall-Scott engine?

Gary_Ash

• 2 weeks later...

What is the configuration of the 10 liter Hall Scott engine.  What is the red line RPM and HP?  It is probably a long stroke stump pulling brute.  That racer looks like a fine built early specimen.  What type wire wheel did you use on the car?  Could you post a few additional pictures for us to savor?  Did the car stay in the Scotland?

Al

Never did check out the BHP or was brave enough to take it  above 3000 rpm.

It does gets off the line well though with the four 2.5 litre pots making a glorious sound.

Guy Lachlan competes it regularly and he is in the South of England whilst I now concentrate on competing my 2 Litre ERA.

Guys Facebook page is : https://www.facebook.com/glachlan

_1436630720_resized_1a.jpg

4b49cd1240065e370478e35e4bccf257.jpg

3832_1442220807_resized_7.jpg

49146917-770-0@2X1-620x465.jpg

D72_7681-S.jpg

hill-climb-standard-2015-cars-61.jpg

• Like 1

You might want to contact Oliver Way who was building another and not sure if he still has it or not.

He also competed in one he built with I think an Austin frame which he may do a deal with you but you need to ask him yourself. Best of luck.

P.S. Oliver is a nice chap.

http://www.oliverway.co.uk/gallery/

DSCF1010.JPG

Edited by ERA (see edit history)

Getting back to the original post.  I have looked over this speedster several times at some local events.  It is very well done.  I have talked to the owner and he says it will do well over 100 mph.  It has early style 4 wheel hydraulic brakes I think from a Diamond T truck.  It is a beast and lives up to the name Zeus.

I must ask, what is the leather pouch for that is located on the left of the body.  Is it simply making a statement that the speedster is "packing the mail"?  It would be nice to see a You Tube of the car running and driving.

Al

7 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I must ask, what is the leather pouch for that is located on the left of the body.  Is it simply making a statement that the speedster is "packing the mail"?  It would be nice to see a You Tube of the car running and driving.

Al

The pouch is to keep the mandatory fire extinguisher when doing events as the car is spartan inside, when not doing events the bag is taken off.

Thanks for your note and explanation of the leather pouch.  I had not thought of the fire extinguisher.  With the big engine upfront, does it tend to under-steer when taking corners at speed?  I am building a speedster based on a 727 CID Wisconsin four cylinder "T" head engine.  I think that I will be OK from a weight distribution perspective, but my unit will be heavy for sure.  Do you have a You Tube of your special speed car running and driving?

Al

• 7 months later...

Just found this thread; I’m the current owner of the Fafnir. To answer some of the questions, the engine’s a gear-driven ohc Hall-Scott A7A. They made a few automotive versions (shorter crank etc) but most were made for aviation, especially during WW1.  It produces 100bhp and 480ftlb at 1400rpm, and the engine is light for its period. It does understeer at speed, and also lifts its inside rear wheel due to ‘interesting’ suspension geometry. Only 0.75 turns lock-to-lock and geared for a 100mph top speed.  Turns heads everywhere, and got me invited to race at Goodwood in 2017 where it acquitted itself well, despite shearing both half-shaft keys during the race (got to the end just 1sec behind the 28 litre Beast of Turin. I’ve now deleted the leather bag and run with the fire extinguisher next to me in case I need it in a hurry!  I’m driving it on New Years Day and will try to get some video.

Edited by Fafnir
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I saw (and heard!) this amazing machine yesterday at the New Year’s Day car show at Barrington in South Cambridge, UK. Big thank-you to the current owner for bringing along the Fafnir and hope to see it again one day, perhaps even in my rear view mirror!

9F957350-BBFD-48FF-A3C7-7129A1FEA3F9.jpeg