CCCA approves new "Classics" including a Buick

Barney Eaton

Great news for owners of those cars, sad news, in my opinion, for the CCCA.  The purpose of the club is to recognize the best of the best, and as they keep adding more cars, the standards get lower and lower.

No offense meant to owners of those cars recently accepted, they're all great cars, it's just that the CCCA is straying from the original founding purpose.  I have to think part of this action is driven by wanting more people to join CCCA, as the membership has been stagnant for a while I believe.

Every year I question myself when I write a membership check to this club.  I hate to leave it, as I've been a member since the 70's, but again, question the direction it's headed.

From my perspective, the cars set as CCCA classes are not shrinking in number, while active members are likely shrinking.  I don't think car cars have gone away, just perhaps the number of owners are shrinking.  I do not think expanding the types or cars eligible, will correct the individual membership issue if that is what the problem actually is.  I am just looking at this as an outsider, with no real concern one way or another. Maybe there should be three clubs, pre-1915 Horseless Carriage, CCCA from 1915-1948, and AACA everything newer.  Would solve a lot of problems, but maybe correct some more.  But, let's avoid issues like the "Museum".  Just my two cents.

John

I decided not to renew when I moved to Texas and discoverd that neither Houston or Austin would support an active cub.  I have not missed the CCCA one moment.  I joined VMCCA  instead, more my kind of people.  Just my TCW. 

Bob Smits