Valve Job

any pointers for a much needed valve job on my 1990 v6 TC? what SHOULD be included? while in the shop, I would also like the AC to be repaired ( has leak) and converted

maybe someone even has a recommendation for a shop near west hollywood.

as usual; thank you very much for your help!

I must say, in all the years I worked in Chrysler Dealers, I never came across a 3.0L which was at a point of a "much needed valve job." There have been plenty, gobs and gobs, in need of the valve guides replaced (exhaust guides primarily)  because of excessive oil smoke at idle and on acceleration from a stop in traffic. Is this what you are referring to?

So what else you ask? Consider of course the timing belt, the water pump, by-pass hose and the crossover tube below the intake manifold and the short extension that extends out to the radiator hose.

While you have it torn down that far, you may want to replace the front crankshaft seal. Check the oil pressure sending unit for oil leaks and have a good look at all 3 engine/trans mounts. There may be core plugs that you can reach more easily that need replacement. Check both the block and the 2 heads.

This should get you started. I am in AZ so help with a shop in not something I can help with. This is a good time to deal with the A/C since the compressor has to be accessed and moved out of the way while doing the work on the heads. 

Thanks Hemi! and yes, I am referring to excessive oil consumption/smoke...that already killed the original kat last year...

so far, I came across a couple of decent looking shops that would charge between 12 and 1500 for the job...will make sure that everything you mentioned will also be replaced..thats almost a rebuilt engine :)

"that's almost a rebuilt engine :)"

Well, really just the top end.

We own 2 of these 3.0L vehicles. My 85 Voyager has a 3.0L that I installed years ago, replacing a 2.6L four cylinder. They are great engines after you have the valve guides taken care of.

Be very sure to keep the cooling system 'rust free' and the engine will run well into 300,000 miles. The other is in the wife's 94 Dodge Shadow.

I agree that the 3.0 is a great engine. They get a bad rep from the early ones dropping valve guides causing the smoke issue. Any decent shop the rebuilds those heads will install the new guides that have a clip on them that prevent them from dropping.

The only other thing that I can think of that Hemi "missed" (and not really) is if your coolant crossover tube is multi-piece (some are only 1 piece while others are 2 and even 3 depending on the application and year) be sure to take it apart, inspect it for excessive corrosion as they are susceptible to that, and replace the O-rings. Other than that, everything else he mentioned.

Clean the valve covers really well. The baffle system inside of them really makes the PCV system work, but they tend to get clogged up if the engine hasn't been taken care of.

10 hours ago, Reaper1 said:

The only other thing that I can think of that Hemi "missed" (and not really) is if your coolant crossover tube is multi-piece (some are only 1 piece while others are 2 and even 3 depending on the application and year) be sure to take it apart, inspect it for excessive corrosion as they are susceptible to that, and replace the O-rings. Other than that, everything else he mentioned.

Well... I didn't exactly miss it, From above: "Consider of course the timing belt, the water pump, by-pass hose and the crossover tube below the intake manifold and the short extension that extends out to the radiator hose."  

I know I'm being a little picky (but not really)  Anyway, as long as the machine shop does what they need to do, your 3.0L should turn out fine. By the way, do you have any sort of valve lash 'noise' sounding like a bad lifter? If so, check all the hydraulic lash adjusters, they are mounted in the rocker arms and make direct contact with the valves.