56 lower control arm bushing.

Wooly15

To replace the lower bushing, the manual states to use a 2x4 to pry the arms apart to get the bushings in and out. I'm afraid I'm going to bend the arm if I pry any harder. I trust the manual, but has anyone else ever done this (without damage)?

Those control arms will break before they deform. Cast iron is high strength, low ductility. It can also withstand high compression, but little tension. You would need to put it in a professional stretcher at 29000 psi to get it to deform. Don't sweat it!

22 hours ago, Beemon said:

. Cast iron is high strength, low ductility. It can also withstand high compression, but little tension.

All very true but the control arms are made of forged alloy steel not cast iron. Just do like de book says and show em who's the boss.............Dammit...............Bob

33 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

All very true but the control arms are made of forged alloy steel not cast iron. Just do like de book says and show em who's the boss.............Dammit...............Bob

Oh, oops. Either way, anything in the range of a 100 or so MPa will still be required to deform any hardened steel, at least.